News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 Cadillac - Seat Belt Installation

Started by Dan Eckstein, June 15, 2010, 08:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Eckstein

Hello!

I am searching for information on seat belt installations.  I am currently restoring a 59 Cadillac Coup DeVille and I would like to install seat belts in the rear of the car to help protect my kids. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850

The Tassie Devil(le)

The simplest way is to follow the instructions that come with the Seat Belt Kit.

Any other way will compromise the actual webbing, and the wearer.

But, basically, there will be a special "washer" that is positioned on the back side of the panel to distribute the forces involved in a crash.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Warren Rauch

Early in the 1960 model year (late 1959) Cadillac started to put dimples in the floor pan where the holes should be drilled. The locations are pictured in an issue of the Serviceman.Check the old posts on 59 seat belts for the issue number.If you want a copy ,I can photo copy it for you.Warren

Misfit

Be real careful where you put the holes. You could drill into the exhaust,  :o  or put the holes in such a position, that you have to drop the exhaust to tighten the bolts, and then you'll have to cut off the excess thread, so it won't touch the pipes.

It's tricky to find just the right place.

Fins

Edward Kenny

I installed my seat belts in my '62 by referring to the Cadillac Serviceman monthly bulletins that pertain to the 1962 model year. I had a hunch that seatbelt installation might have been mentioned in one of the bulletins because at the time the belts were a dealer-installed option, and I was right. Refer to the Bulletins before drilling any holes!