News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Peking to Paris 2010 in a 49 fastback

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, June 16, 2010, 12:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

http://cschwager.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/the-preparation/

http://www.pekingparis.com/entry.html

Thanks Fred and Bill for passing this along to me.

I love it :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Otto Skorzeny

So how is that a '49 Cadillac?

They might as well drive a new Escalade. Nothing special about a long trip in a car like that.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

tozerco

I would love to hear the story of this car in the 2007 Rally. It came 6th in its class just 45 minutes behind the class winner after 14,000 km and left a fleet of Bentleys in its dust.

http://www.pekingparis.com/ppdata/results.php

Anybody know where the crew came from?

John Tozer
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Otto Skorzeny

I totally understand where they're going and what's required but don't try to convince anyone that it's a vintage car making the trip.

What would a traveler have done in 1949 to make this trip?  Make modifications that would have been done back then. That would be a more authentic experience.
fward

The Tassie Devil(le)

The original recreation of the Peking to Paris a couple of years ago that was run by some Aussies was a true recreation of the event.   The only thing different from their use of same cars as original, was the back-up crews that went along to do the filming, and assist in breakdowns, and the modern-day communications.

These "New" events where so much "Beefing-up" and modifications are done, are okay, but not true motoring.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve Passmore

I'm with you guys all the way. It saddens me a little to see these cars so modified and beaten to crap during the event that they can never be original again. A fellow I have been communicating with here in England is modifying a 39 for the same rally, all the parts removed, which was almost everything were disposed of. I have to question whether its right to destroy a piece of history for a glorified race through the desert? but, its up to an owner to do what he wants right?  guess you cant change that, thats why this club has a Modified section, perhaps this topic should be over there?   I think there will always be this difference of opinion and it will never be reconciled.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Stampie

I don't understand the line of thinking about the Modified Chapter.  The chapter is part of the CLC and this is the CLC forum.  You might as well say that any discussion of this should be only by The Forty-Niners since it is about a 49.

Stampie
If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.  ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobediance, 1849

If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.  ~Louis D. Brandeis

Jon Riley #13576

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on Yesterday at 04:51:12 pm
So how is that a '49 Cadillac? How is it not a 1949 Cadillac?  Same frame, engine, and body?

They might as well drive a new Escalade. Why?  Because they chose to modify the car?  Why don't you tell the modified chapter to stop modifying their cars and drive Escalades.

Nothing special about a long trip in a car like that.
  You clearly have no idea where they are going and what they are doing.  This is a little different than driving your "Escalade" through some national park.

Otto Skorzeny

I don't really have a problem with any of those cars. In fact I admire the ingenuity and skill required to build a vehicle like that. I merely object to the implication that this is somehow vintage motoring.

I could take a 1926 Model T and install a Porsche engine and transmission in it and legally register it in Georgia as a historic vehicle.

I could then drive it to California at an average speed of 80mph. Would anyone seriously think that was some amazing feat for an antique auto? Hell no.

I don't like the idea of destroying nice original cars for things like this either but people are free to do whatever they wish with their own property. It seems to me, however to be somewhat pointless. Why spend all that time and money to build some FrankenCar when you could buy a used Humvee instead?

I saw an article in National Geographic about one of the magazine's early contributors. He drove across Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, etc. in a 1924 Buick or some such vehicle. This of course was in the 1920s. No GPS or electric fuel pumps or Recaro seats for him.

Let's see somebody enter this contest with a real vintage auto and see what it was like to travel 50 or 85  years ago. If I had the financial where-with-all to do so, I would love to do it in a Model AA truck or some other heavy duty pre-war vehicle.

How did Jon Riley's post get out of sequence? It was post #2 so my respnse in post #3 doesn't really make sense.

Anyway, I see he's added some new comments so I'll answer them here although most were addressed in the above paragraphs.

Otto: Nothing special about a long trip in a car like that.
Jon:  You clearly have no idea where they are going and what they are doing.  This is a little different than driving your "Escalade" through some national park.

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on June 17, 2010, 07:35:44 AM
I totally understand where they're going and what's required but don't try to convince anyone that it's a vintage car making the trip.

Otto: So how is that a '49 Cadillac?
Jon:  How is it not a 1949 Cadillac?  Same frame, engine, and body?

See my remarks about the Model T above.

Jon: They might as well drive a new Escalade. Why?  Because they chose to modify the car?  Why don't you tell the modified chapter to stop modifying their cars and drive Escalades.

Again, see my remarks above regarding modifications. No problem with it. This race isn't vintage motoring by any measure, however.
fward

Otto Skorzeny

Right. My point exactly.

Make modifications that would have been made at the time the car was new with the technology available at the time. That would be a more authentic experience.

You're right about the pre-20s cars being better equipped for off road use. The Model T's transverse leaf springs and large diameter wheels allow the suspension a range of travel similar to a Humvee.
fward

Jon Riley #13576

I think that comparing what these guys are doing to driving a street-rod model T from Georgia to California is comparing apples to oranges.  So too is comparing their car to a used Hummer. 

Some of you guys might not like modified cars, but what is the difference between this and modifying a car for personal taste, ie modern air suspension, candy paint, north-star engine, etc?  Regardless, instead of bashing them for their “incorrectly modified” car, I say at least they are using it, and for a pretty cool adventure.  And, I’m sure it taking a 1949 Cadillac (albeit with some “minor” modifications) on this trip will indeed be a true motoring adventure.

The Tassie Devil(le)

At least, they could have retained the '49's front Bumper Bar, and incorporated the reinforcing into it instead of simply whacking on a piece of tube.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Carfreak

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny

If I had the financial where-with-all to do so, I would love to do it in a Model AA truck or some other heavy duty pre-war vehicle.

Otto,

Do you recall all the caravans of vintage vehicles I posted about last summer?  A group of 50+ model T's from NYC to the west coast, several different women driving early (1907 to 1911) cars from NYC to San Francisco and a huge military convoy from Wash DC to Calf.   There are often caravans (not races) traversing the continent, if you have such an interest you should see about joining one of them.  
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Otto Skorzeny

I do intend to do my own 3-4 month wandering around the country on secondary roads. I initially planned it for 2010-2011 but the economy took a dump and I have to put it off.

I was going to tow a 20 foot '59 Airstream but decided to stay in motels, hotels and camp instead. No trailer makes side trips easier and less strain on the car.
fward

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can vouch for traveling the length and breadth of any Country.

And by getting off the freeways, one sees a lot more, and experiences most things that are good.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe