News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 Sedan stuck wheel

Started by John Frater, June 16, 2010, 02:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Frater

I started my 59 Sedan De Ville after leaving it in my damp garage for most of the winter. It started fine and shifts into gear, and the rear wheels turn-but the front left wheel is stuck, almost but not quite frozen. It rotates just a bit, feels like the brake pad has 'swollen' and is grabbing the wheel so it won't turn. The right side is fine.  Access space for me is limited. Any ideas on a way to free up that wheel? Thanks

Greg Powers

Just how limited is the access space? You really need to remove the tire and the brake drum to see what's going on. If this is not possible in its present location, you need to roll the car out of the garage with some manner of roller under that frozen wheel until you can access the brake drum. If you drag the wheel you could do permanent damage to the tire depending on the distance the vehicle is moved. I don't really think that there is a quick remedy.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Sweede64

Crawl under the car and back the starwhel so the shoes clears the drum, i think there is rust who acumulated during the winter and  the drum hasent got enuogh clerance, once out of the garage remove the drum an clean off the rust, do this on all four wheels since its likely an issue on the other three weels as well.
Thomas Karlström

Otto Skorzeny

I second Sweede's opinion.
You might be able to rock it free but you might mess up the shoes if it's frozen really bad.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

John Frater

I like that idea, will try it in the next day or two and let you know how I do, thanks, John

Misfit

Spray the floor liberally with some kind of liquid lubricant, then just drag it out to where you can work on it. Tire damage will be nill, unless the floor is like 40 grit sandpaper.

Fins