News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

36 engine

Started by frank-21422, June 22, 2010, 07:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank-21422

Is there anyone out there who can explain the differences between the 36 346 and 37 engines.   I always see references to the 37 to 48 engne.  Why not 36 to 48 engine.  They seem very similar.
Frank

Jim Stamper

One difference I believe is the distributer location. The 36 distributer is mounted farther forward I believe, though how the carburetor and distributer get along I don't know. The 37 distributer and onwards are at the left rear of the block.

Someone must have more complete information than this.

Steve Passmore

I have a 36 Frank that "lost" its engine years ago, the biggest difference are the engine mounts, the 36 has none at the sides of the block, they come off two flat areas beside the timing cover and have two "arms" that reach forward to the frame above the centre link.  My 36 has later frame mounts for its later engine fitted to the frame at the sides to support it, so its possible to fit a later engine with modifications but you cant fit the 36 engine into the later cars unless you can find a way of utilizing the front mount. I have noticed that my 1937 60 series still has this early front mount on the frame as well as added mounts to the side. Cadillac were probably just using up old frames.
I think there were a lot of internal differences too but as I don't have a 36 engine I cant tell, I do know that there were changes every year affecting these engines and although much of it is interchangeable in its basic sense its no good to use, two examples are the timing cover,  fan support, and belts,  they all look the same but there are many different types, as the bodies got lower the rads became lower and the hight of the fan and the castings on the cover were lowered down also shortening the belts.    As the engines were tilted to accommodate sleeker body lines the angles changed on the inlet manifolds (I have 4 different manifolds for 346 engines)  Engine breathing changed between pre and post war engines also.

Although people do use the reference of 37 to 48  because they were basically the same block design you still have to be cautious when buying your parts. HTH
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

WArren Rauch

from the Cadillac Serviceman Sept 1,1936:
  The engines used in the 37 series cars are essentially the same as the 36 series V-Type engines except for detailed changes and improvements. These changes include rearrangement of engine accessories on the the v-8, the use of a lighter flywheel on all models, the addition of the torsional vibration damper on all Cadillac V-8 engines, larger bore on the series 60, (it had a 3 3/8 bore in 36, the Lasalle was a striaght 8)new air bleed-type valve silencers on the v-8 engines, improved carburation and new design motor supports.
The relocation of the various engine accessories on the 37 V-8 engines is important. the generator is now located accessibly in the engine Vee and is driven by a belt which also drives the water pump.The fan belt, which is the more heavily loaded belt, now drives the fan only. The distributor drive has been relocated so that the direction of the distributor rotation is now clockwise instead of conterclockwise as it was on past series cars.

In a caption on a photo it shows the new standard oil filter that needs changing every 6000 miles. It is similair to the Mopar throwaway where the can and all was discarded. (And I thought these V8's only used after market filters) It also suggests looking at the Prelimiary Shop manual that came with this issue. Warren