News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

back to work !!

Started by Mattillac, June 24, 2010, 01:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattillac

I have posted my caddy for sale, and it seems i am married to it.  back to work !!

I have decided to go back the the mechanical aspects to get it road worthy.  Brakes are the biggest issue. 

Delco system.  They go to the floor almost, get hard, then work.  I plan to start with adjusting the rear shoes out a bit more and see what happens......... what else should i look for/ do ??

Availability for master cylinder and booster rebuild kits seem hit and miss  :-[   Rockauto.com listed and "Up to 43 days" lead time to delivery, and Kanter.com lists a master cylinder kit at 99.99$, where as Rock auto lists it at 10 or 12$.  I think Kanter is selling a booster rebuild kit ??
I even e mailed them asking, and they said master cylinder, but i know sales people can be idiots at times !!

is there a newer master cylinder/ booster that i can fit in its place that is more cost effective ??  Man, i must be getting old, i remember when you used to be able to get a master cylinder NEW for 50$, and that was a high cost one !!
Matt Loll

Misfit

One problem. Those that do not follow you for every waking moment have no idea what kind of car you have. A 1920's or a 2010 model.

It really hard to diagnose ghost cars on the Internet.

Not being snide, but there seems to be a lot of people that do this. Go to your profile and finish it. There is a section in which you can include a whole slew of cars that you own, if you do. Those that question your car usually can see what you have in the signature line.

Should you have a variety of cars, then you need to specify to which you refer.
Then you'll get the help you need.                                  Maybe !!!  ;)

Fins

Mattillac

Good point, it was late......... its a 1958 cadillac series 62
Matt Loll

J. Gomez

Matt,

You either have a Bendix or the Moraine type P/B system. The kit you see at Kanter is for the M/C with the gaskets set; these items are NOT for the booster. The only item that is applicable to the booster would be the leather band for the piston cup sold separately.

The 1956 and 1958 share the same setup and if you find a complete rebuilt kit for the booster GRAVE IT..! They are extremely rare and prices are sky high at Ebay if you can find them.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Steve Lachowetz (No. 25332)

Sounds like what I just went through.  Installed a new rebuilt master and booster, all new lines, wheel cylinders and shoes.  The pedal was all the way down to the bottom.  Re-blead the system 3 times thinking somehow I had made a mistake and it was still a low pedal.  Adjusted the brakes out to where I thought it was almost to far and now everything is perfect.
My58Caddy.com

Steve Lachowetz (25332)

Mattillac

that would be cool if its that simple.  I have a master cylinder kit hopefully on the way, and am going to check a few more things on the vac booster still ALONG with adjusting the brakes out.  This would take the car to something that will move itself, so something that will move AND stop :)

I have the delco moraine system, and have been consulting the 57 service manual, and the 58 supplement.  Long weekend coming up, so i will do something even if its wrong :)
Matt Loll