News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1932 Lasalle Town Coupe

Started by Craig, June 25, 2010, 04:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

I just bought a 1932 Lasalle Town Coupe...it has a 353 v8 and I was wondering where would I find information about doing some normal maintenance like changing oil, filter if there is one, etc...what grade oil does it use and how much...maybe if someone would be so kind they could give me a top ten list of the things I need to look at...this is a beautiful automobile and I cant wait to see her...thanks..craig

Terry Wenger

Craig;

First your LaSalle is a model 345B. It has a 355 cubic inch engine. A Town coupe is a very nice body style. The first thing you should look for is a copy of the operator's manual. It will tell you about lubrication, operation and general care. The crankcase holds eight quarts of oil. Which oil to use depends on what was used before in the car, and what you choose. Everybody has their own favorite weight and brand. I use a good 10W-30 modern oil but I overhauled my engine. The original oil filters were not too great and probably can't be found. Perhaps your car has been adapted to some sort of modern filter.

Regular chassis grease is fine but you may have the orinal type of grease fittings on it requiring the purchase of a proper grease gun.

Much of what you need to do depends on the condition of the car. One that has just been found after 70 years of storage needs  much more care than one that has been restored or has been driven recently. I would try to find a shop manual. Those manuals are well written and very helpful in repair or restoration.
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Craig

ThanksTerry...I may have a few questions as I proceed...Craig

shavdog

Cowl Lace.....Would you happen to know a source for this lace replacement....thankyou...craig
C Shavlik

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Craig,

Click on the link in my signature to find a long list of vendors specializing in parts and services for vintage Cadillacs and the auto restoration hobby in general.

SMS Fabric may have your cowl lacing. Jenkins might too.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Wayne Womble 12210

Probably someone like Restoration Supply for the lacing.   I never could find any that was correct with the tube center for the wire, or that was actually as wide as the original.   I found the largest stuff that I could and sewed a piece on the back to make the tube.

If you have the original oil filter can, it can be converted to a spin on with the original look. 

shavdog

Theres a guy  Pete Sanders that sells supplies...I  emailed him..also Steele Rubber Products sells some....Thanks for any leads...craig...the Steele product actually has the hole for the wire ...don't know bout the lace size though...
C Shavlik