News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Carlisle vs Hershey

Started by Fred Pennington 25635, June 30, 2010, 05:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Pennington 25635

Greetings, I am thinking about going to one of the fall show / swap meets.
I live in New Mexico so I can only attend one
What is the consciences  Carlisle or Hershey
I am more interested in the swap meet and commercial vintage parts vendors

Thanks in advance
Fred
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Jeff Hansen

If you seek parts for your 1940 LaSalle, then hands down, you want to go to Hershey.

Carlisle is primarily post WWII cars and parts - and even then it is mostly muscle cars IMO.   You will find stray pre-WWII parts, but they are few and far between.  You can walk the entire Carlisle flea market in a day.

Hershey, which is about 45 minutes from Carlisle, is 3 - 4X the size of Carlisle, and there are MANY pre-War vendors.  To do a credible job walking the flea market at Hershey, allow at least three full days.  Hershey also has the AACA judged car show on Saturday; there is no show at Carlisle.

Regardless of the meet you select, start making your hotel reservations NOW as near by hotels fill up fast and may already be full.   The meets are always on successive weeks and being in close proximity to one another, many people come for both.

Others will have opinions on this subject, too.

HTH,
Jeff

Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Carfreak

Start training at least a couple weeks in advance with several miles of walking every day either carrying a sack containing a variety of auto parts or pulling a bag-lady's cart.  A child's wagon will do if nothing else is available.   

Wear COMFORTABLE SHOES

Bring RAIN GEAR (and sun screen)  :D
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Otto Skorzeny

If you're looking for something specific and hard to find, make yourself a sandwich board with a Wanted such & such on both sides.

Walk around wearing it and anybody that has what you need will come to you. Everybody reads sandwich boards.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Carfreak

If the sandwich board is waterproof it can double as rain gear.

Now Otto, its just about time for a midnight snack.  Roast beef & provolone.    :P

Carfreak

Why Hershey is better than Carlisle.

10  Free peanuts (by donation)
9    Free apples
8    Free cider
7    Free Kisses (the chocolate kind)
6    Free admission
5    Free beer @ Joe's
4    AACA Museum
3    Saturday car show
2    Finding the part you need
1    CLC Hospitality Tent

Wayne Womble 12210

Aw, come on guys, it never rains at Hershey.  ;)

TonyZappone #2624

This is my 43rd or 44th consecutive year at Hershey (I forgot the exact year I first went).  I have missed cousins'  weddings, relatives funerals, etc. to go to Hershey.  I stopped going to Carlisle years ago.  Hershey has the real old car people, nuts like me.  Carlisle is more for the muscle guys, and later stuff, including so many rods, well...don't let me start on that.   Hershey is Christmas, your birthday, the best celebration for real old car people.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

mgrab

Hershey is it......
Last few years I've gone with my wife as opposed to car buddies, she says I look like a kid at x-mas......
Hershey motels do fill up fast (I'll be booking shortly) but I like to stay in Lancaster, about a 1/2 hour away and food is great there, plus my wife gets to shop on Sunday - leverage that makes the acquisition of "treasures" that much easier.....
Is Joe's that truck that had the tin cans.......root beer?  Its difficult to hide free beer from me!
1941 Cadillac 6267D
1948 Packard Custom Eight Victoria
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan

Jim Thompson

1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Fred Pennington 25635

THANKS, Hershey it is  ( Wife's' choice anyway)I will be flying into Baltimore so driving a ways for a room does not bother me. After all it is a car event. Even if I have to drive a rental ride.
As for conditioning, I just returned from an 80 mile backpacking trip at Philmont Scout Ranch. I know that's just a walk in the park compared to a large swap meet but it will have to do

As a side note Waite Phillips the benefactor of Philmont Had 2, 1940 LaSalles  a 5019 and a Woody Wagon

Thanks Again,
Fred
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Jim Thompson

I go every year. You will love the show.
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback