News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Troubleshooting brake system

Started by Matt B #26021, July 04, 2010, 01:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt B #26021

Hello,
I have a 65 deville and the brakes are non-operational at the moment. I do not have a ton of experience with brake systems so I thought that I would ask here before my trial and error.

The car has newer brake lines. The master cylinder is full of fluid. When the pedal is pressed the brakes do not stop stop/slow down the car.

What should I check first? Then next?
Member #26021      1965 Cadillac Deville Convertible. Currently in the beginning stages of making her roadworthy. Any parts or info would be much appreciated.

Otto Skorzeny

Get all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time and have someone check each one to see if it can be turned when you press the pedal. Do they drag at all? Is there no change? Do some stop and others not stop?

Check each wheel cylinder and shoe / drum. Maybe they're all way out of adjustment and the shoes aren't making contact with the drums? (probably not but I don't know the car's history)

Can you see any movement at all in the shoes with the drums removed? If nothing at all is happening anywhere then you should replace the master cylinder.

Bear in mind I am assuming that the lines are all free and clear with no corrosion or leaks or anything else obvious.

Can you move the wheel cylinder pistons in and out freely by hand without binding or anything? If not, they should all be replaced.

What do the rubber hoses look like at each wheel? If they show any signs of age/cracking, flaking, etc. they should be replaced. They could still look good and be collapsing inside but check the obvious stuff first.

What sort of action do you get from the booster? An easy test for the booster is to pump the pedal until it gets hard with the car turned off. Keeping your foot pressed on the now-hard pedal turn on the car. Your foot should instantly push the pedal another couple of inches as soon as the car starts if the booster is working.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

When the pedal is pressed does it go to the floor or is it hard (engine running)?  If it is hard I would suspect the power booster, there could be either a vacuum leak, a collapsed vacuum hose to the booster (been there), or the booster itself needs to be rebuilt/replaced.  If it goes to the floor, I would suspect the master cylinder --- possibly the brakes need to be bled but there would be a reason for that.  Do you have a friend that is familiar with brake systems that can be there with you to help?  I would certainly lean on him for advice, brakes are not particularly difficult but for a novice you really need someone to guide you.  One thing you need with that car is good, RELIABLE brakes.
Geoff N. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Gergely Szentmartony 25603

Matt,
I know you won't like my answer but I cannot resist writing it down specifically on your account.

If you really "do not have a ton of experience with brake systems" - as you said - then you should turn to an expert.

I have been a technical trainer of dealers' technicians for more than 20 years now and I have always started my brake and steering courses with the following two sentences:
"You should never forget. Never play with the brake, the steering and the grizzly bear!"
"Brougham - For all the reasons you have ever wanted a Cadillac"

www.cadillaclasalle.hu

Carfreak

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Dave Shepherd

Agreed, I wanted to say this also but many would be insulted.

Matt B #26021

Great advice everyone. Ill update this thread when a solution is found.

Gergely point well taken
Member #26021      1965 Cadillac Deville Convertible. Currently in the beginning stages of making her roadworthy. Any parts or info would be much appreciated.