News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

DBaer's CadillacVille out of business, or...?

Started by Derek, July 06, 2010, 08:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek

Does anyone know, is DBaer's CadillacVille out of business, or just more than semi-retired?

I have called them a couple of times and gotten no answer, and his email has been removed from the website. 

Saw on his site that he was going to semi-retire and that he was looking for someone to buy the business from him, but I don't know how old that information was.

Just want to know so I can scratch him off as a reliable vendor from my list.

It seems almost like he's done with it but hasn't taken his website down.

Otto Skorzeny

I don't know what information you have but as of September/October of 2009 the information I have on the Huge Vendor List was accurate.

This can be found by clicking the link in my signature.

Please let me know if this is the same info you have or if you find out anything new. If he is out of business, I will delete his contact information from the List.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Derek

This was written on his website:

"For Sale ...... Turn Key Business ...... For Sale

A unique business opportunity. CadillacVille. After 35yrs in business, dbaer says it's time to pass the torch to another Cadillac enthusiast. Large unique inventory. Very productive website. Turn key business."

His email is no longer on the site, and as I mentioned, I've called a couple of times and left messages, with no response.  Also, even during business hours (he lists them from 1:00-6:00 PM, PST) I have been unable to reach him.  He mentions having to change his email address due to spam, but then never gives the new email address.

I just wonder if he is done with the business, or what...?  It's very strange.  

Derek

I just remember ordering something from him 3-4 years ago, and it was a great experience -- picked up the phone right away, verified stock, called me back with total price, took card, shipped everything out, and it arrived as promised.

Otto Skorzeny

All the links are dead on the website. I think I'll have to delete his entry.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Derek

That's what I encountered...Besides that there's no dating on anything so it's hard to tell if that message is recent, or 3-4 years old.

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Well gotta start over, I typed a long letter then my cat jumped on keyboard and I lost everything, darn cat.

What Derek read I also saw that going back 3-4 years ago or more, I believe he was willing to sell land and cars as a lot separate, it seems like he was willing to sell the cars for current scrap price. If someone just wanted the land and he had no buyers on the Cadillacs he would of had to send them to the crusher. I wonder if anyone lives in the area can check it out, it would be a shame to think of all those nice old Cadillacs going to the crusher.

I always wished all the old Cadillacs could be saved from the crusher but it would probably be hard to sell some of the parts when you have a dozen of same year. It would be nice if you had the room to keep them all and strip the rusted out ones and save the good parts in a warehouse, but with the price of land, buildings, scrap, etc it would be hard to do.

My father has 35 acres of land for sale in Central, MA, maybe the club members can all chip in and buy it and make it a Cadillac graveyard.

well I better submit post before cat comes back :)
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Derek

Yeah, I've always wanted to do something like that, start a salvage yard for classic cars.  Most of the good ones are gone, like the Lemon Grove of Edsels in PA that was a tourist attraction for years, and now dBaer's. 

I wonder how much good stuff was left at dBaer's after all those years in the Pacific Northwest.  I know a lot of things can be picked apart and restored, like chrome, etc., but I bet a lot of the sheet metal was done for.  It's still a shame to think of it all going for junk.

Now Ted Holcombe is closing up as well...I've just gotten back into this to help a friend out who collects these cars in Finland, but I don't think I will ever own another classic car.  It's not the same world it was even 8-9 years ago when I was in it, picking up a '77 SDV with 23k miles on it for $3500, or a '75 Eldo Convertible in need of restoration for $1500, and a '72 Eldorado Convertible for $2500.

Parts have gotten harder to find and I think we're seeing a shakeout of the smaller vendors as the big guys seem to now control everything.

I am pricing having a '67-'68 Tilt and Telescoping turn signal switch reproduced by a company in China, and even at the low prices they want, I have trouble thinking I could recoup my investment.