News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1932 Cadillac 355B Armature rotation

Started by Don Pettee, July 06, 2010, 09:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Pettee

Can anyone tell me which way the generator armature is rotating when viewed from the rear?  Clockwise or counter clockwise.  I have the generator out and am trying to adjust the third brush.  I also would like to know what amps the gauge would normally read under normal driving.  I believe my generator is putting out to much as the relay kicks out if I rev the engine.  It quits at about 25 amp which I understand is by design but I don't know what the desired output should be.
Thanks, Don 
Don Pettee CLC #20471

Otto Skorzeny

Wouldn't it rotate in the same direction as the engine (crankshaft)?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Don Pettee

I was at the shop and away from my car when asking about rotation and have since figured that out.  It rotates counter clockwise but I still need to know what amps it should be set at. 
Don
Don Pettee CLC #20471

Wayne Womble 12210

The shop manual gives the information. I dont have it hear at home. However, there is probably no set figure. It needs to work at the conditions that it is used, ie.  day, night, long or short driving.  For a reference, I dont think I have ever seen mine much over 15A. I am more concerned to set it just to the point it will barely charge with the lights on, so the battery will stay up during night operation. You should also check the resistor. Make sure this is not burned out or it will act like your description of the symptoms.

Don Pettee

My shop could not run the generator and set the output out of the car so I worked with it in the car and set the third brush so it's reading 15 amps.  The setting when I started was at the max output so I adjusted the third brush clockwise a fair bit and put it back in the car.  I adjusted it too far and there was no output so I was able to loosen the clamp screw and adjust it in the car several times to get what I think will work.  The amps just reads positive with the lights on bright and with the lights off and reved up the amps dont't trip the cut-out relay.  I learned that adjusting the third brush on the V8 engine in the car is not an easy matter but it can be done if you've had it out to study.
  While I was under the jacked up car we had a 5.7 eathquake just to test my nerves.
Thanks for the replys, Don Pettee
Don Pettee CLC #20471

Wayne Womble 12210

Nothing like an earth shaking event while under a 5000 lb. car.   Sounds like you have it adjusted pretty good.  I assume you checked the thermostat and resistor?  Now get rid of that cut out and you will be home free.  I use a large diode and replace the guts of the cutout.