News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Heated washer System Recall

Started by Dennis DiNorcia, July 07, 2010, 11:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis DiNorcia

My 2006 DTS has been recalled again for a defective heated washer fluid system. Orriginally it was recalled to replace a fuse to avoid overheating the system and causing a potential fire. Now the recall is to remove the system totally from the car since the original fix still has potential problems. My question is, there is a company that sells a replacement that is made to replace the originally exactly without any overheating problems. I would like to still have the use of this option and I was contemplating installing it. Of course, Cadillac will not install it and states that if any failure of this product causes damage to the car, it will void the warranty. I feel this is true for any aftermarket product. (Radios, alarms, etc.) How do you guys out there feel about making this kind of installation?   

J. Gomez

I always thought that any aftermarket additions or modifications would avoid the standard vehicle warranty if the product causes damages to the vehicle itself or other OEM equipment.

The product itself could be warrant by the manufacture for defects but not sure if there is an extended liability to cover damages to other components and/or the vehicle itself.

If such product is available you will need to research with the company.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Otto Skorzeny

It depends on the part and it's function. Obviously tires are an example. As long as they meet certain standards, car makers can't void warranties if you install tires that are different from those the car came with new.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

J. Gomez

J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Kevin M. Parkinson

Dennis,

I got the same recall notice for my 2006 DTS.  I don't want to give up that option either (it works NICE in the winter).  I was wondering why can't they replace the potentially defective part with something from the current model?  How is eliminating an optional feature a good fix?
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

Otto Skorzeny

Are they going to give you a refund on the purchase price of that option or option package? I would demand it.
fward

Herman clc19416

I have a 2008 CTS DI Injection and also got the recall.  I went to the dealer and tried to fend off the disconnect.  They said had problems with fires and tried fixes that did not work thus disconnet of option.  They are refunding $100.00 after the disconnect is done by the dealer.  I will wait and see what happens.  I am in  California and dont really need the option anyway.  Refund is supposed to come from the dealer....

Barry Norman

I have had 2 BMW's with this option and never a problem. Why can't GM just copy what works and run with it ?
Barry Norman

David King (kz78hy)

When I was working at GM, the decision was made to cancel this option.  There was really only one vendor who supplied this product to GM.  There was a revised version slated for the next generation of cars, but I think they ended up in bankruptcy over the cost of the recall to correct the 1st generation of cars.  I know SAAB had a european version that did not preform as well as the "hot shot" since it works like a mini instant water heater.  Big wires taking a lot of current.  The european one had heated nozzles as I recall.

With the legal issues out there, I'm guessing that is what is driving the 2nd notice to remove the system.

My 2 cents

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Whit Otis, 1188

I got the same recall notice for my 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD.  They are going to disable the system and give me $100.00.  Living in Colorado, I rather liked the feature and wished they were fixing it rather than disabling it.... Oh well.

Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

kelly

I had the washer recall performed last weekon my 2008 DTS. Before the car was done, the dealer handed me a check for $100. I live in Michigan, so it was a nice option.  Hope they never have to recall the seat coolers! Those are great!
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

David King (kz78hy)

One option would be to just not take it in for the recall/service work and continue to use the feature, at some risk.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Otto Skorzeny

What do they do to disable it, remove a critical part?

Could you just hook it back up again? Of course if your car catches fire you're screwed.
fward

Dennis DiNorcia

I had my system removed per the recall notice from GM. I have a question that puzzles me. The heated system was recalled for 2006 - 2009 models only. The system is still available on the 2010's and there were no recalls on that model year. My question is that if it is on the 2010's with no problems, why can't I have a 2010 system installed on my car? It is the identical car. Why would GM not do this if it was offered on a later model year?

Otto Skorzeny

My guess is that it's cheaper to pay the dealer to remove it and give you $100 than it is pay to remove the old unit and install the new unit.

That's twice the labor cost plus the cost of the part. Even if it just costs GM out of pocket $1.00 more to install the new unit they aren't going to spend the money if they don't have to. This ain't Rolls Royce we're talking about.
fward

Kevin M. Parkinson

If you go to Cadillac's website and build a new DTS, the heated washer fluid system (HWFS) is not an option available to add.  I was at the dealership a couple of days ago (with a different vehicle) and asked about it.  The service writer said it will be my option to keep it (after signing a waiver).  He said they are recalled from all GM vehicles for any year they were available. and they are no longer being installed.  This goes along with what David King already told us.  I don't want a fire for sure, but I'd like to know how many times this system has failed.  What are the chances it is going to fail in any given car? 

I am calling Cadillac Customer Assitance to see if they will answer any questions.

They told me that 1.5 million HWFS were installed in GM cars and trucks from 2006 to 2009.  There was the recall in 2008 which added a fuse to the HWFS control circuit harness.  Since then, there have been 5 fires total.  3 of the fires were while the vehicle was unattended.  There have been no related injuries.  Does it seem like a low risk of danger in keeping the car as is?
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

Tim Groves

There's a part under the hood that has lots of gasoline going into it, with a hot spark all the time - called an engine.  How many engine fires are there in comparison to recalls like these?  Should they eliminate engines?  Some of the logic of these recalls is silly.

Otto Skorzeny

All it takes is some ambulance chaser to say that GM new they had a "problem" and they're on the hook for tens of millions of dollars if somebody's car burns the house down.
fward

Dennis DiNorcia

I do see now that GM is not listing it as an option on the 2010 models. The reason why I thought it was offered is because there is a company called GMPartsDirect.com and they are showing a listing for a 2010 heater unit. I've sent several emails to them (as they have no phone number on the website) and I cannot get a straight answer. I may just go ahead with the aftermarket unit sold by AlphaTherm.