News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1933 Cadillac 355C 7 Passenger Imperial Sedan Member 23308

Started by Dennis Riordan CLC 23308, July 08, 2010, 07:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Riordan CLC 23308

Wayne and Paul,

About 3 years ago, when I purchased my 1933 Cadillac 7 Passenger Imperial Sedan, the Head Bolts were 'held on' by chrome acorn nuts with 'attached' 1/4 inch chrome extensions.  i.e. they were acorn nuts that had an additional 1/4 inch of chrome built in.

I am replacing the right hand head gasket.  Were the chrome acorn nuts standard.  I'm getting the sense that 'nuts' were used because they were able to be tightened to specifications more precisely.

I will  never fail to observe how much the two of you and many others  have dedicated to the Cadillac tradition.  Thanks.

Any idea where I can find some 'long' 7/16" x 20 'pointed' chrome acorn nuts?

Dennis Riordan
CLC 23308
Dennis Riordan
CLC 23308

Wayne Womble 12210

The original acorn nuts had an integral extended flange on the nut, except for the four that hold the spark plug wire bracket. Those had a separate washer.

Dennis Riordan CLC 23308

Wayne,

Thank you very much.  That is the way I purchased the vehicle.  I am just desiring to purchase new acorn nuts for cosmetic reasons.  I'm still looking for the crome acorn nuts with the intergral [built-in] 1/4 inch extensions.  I have been able to find a source for the separate chrome 1\4 inch spacers [7/16 smooth bore] that I am considering using to get back to the look of the original longer chrome acorn nuts.

Thanks for you help this time and all the other times.

Regards,

Dennis Riordan
214 769-1350
djrslice@aol.com
CLC 23308

djr
Dennis Riordan
CLC 23308

Wayne Womble 12210

I havent found a source for the original style. I had mine rechromed.

Otto Skorzeny

Dennis,

You might try some of the automotive fastener companies and restoration specialty companies on the vendor list.

Fastener Connection, Mr G's, Restoration Supply, Restoration Specialties, RJ&L Auto Fasteners, Totally Stainless, Kenneth Johnson Auto Parts, Flat Caddy are all potential sources, among others.

Click on the link in my signature for their contact information.

PS. Totally Stainless says that they can find any fastener in stainless steel.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Jeff Hansen

Dennis,

Have you tried Restoration Supply in California?   http://www.restorationstuff.com

Page 44 of their PDF catalog (http://www.restorationstuff.com/RSC28.pdf) shows several types of specialty acorn nuts, Cadillac included.  Not sure if its what you're after, but thought I'd mention it.

HTH,
Jeff

Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Don Pettee

The good news is Restoration Supply Company has a spacer and acorn nut in chrome for the Cadillac flathead.  The bad news is the price.  The spacer (was008) are  $4.25 each with the Style 7 acorn nut (nut004) at $5.25 each which brings the cost to $200 per head.  I used these on my 32 355B because the originals were beyond plating but if you have good originals it might be cheaper to plate.  The quality is excellent however a knit picker can tell the difference between the originals and the spacer and nut. The spacer diameter is slightly larger than the original.  The phone number is 800 306 7008 or info@restorationstuff.com.
Take care in torquing the nuts it's been five years but I still recall the sick feeling when I broke the last stud, number 42, I think I was in the 65 pound range.  I got lucky with an easyout for once and didn't have to take the head off.  Check with others for the correct pressure as it's been a while.

Since you have a 7 Pass model I wonder if you could give me the length measurement on your wood trim measured on the inside.  I have some
pieces that measure 31 3/4 front, 27 rear, 23 rear quarter that I'm trying to identify.  Could you confirm if these are 7 Pass model frames as they are bigger than my 5 pass model? Thanks,  donpettee@aol.com
Don Pettee CLC #20471

Dennis Riordan CLC 23308

Don,

Thanks for the info re the acorn nuts plus spacers.

Regarding the measurements of the wood pieces, do you need the 'length' measured at the outside?

For instance, the front window is one piece, molded\bent.

The side window wood pieces have been molded\bent into two pieces that slide together. 

The back window wood is one piece.

I'm not exactly sure which measurements you desire.

When I have better light tomorrow in my garage, I can take some pictures and get them to you.

Regards,

Dennis Riordan
214 769-1350   Feel free to call me anytime.  I'm in the Dallas area.

Regards,

Dennis Riordan
Dennis Riordan
CLC 23308

Don Pettee

Dennis,  I have a set of wood frames (six pieces) which came with the 32-355B five pass sedan I am restoring.  These frames are identical in style and detail to the set of frames that fit my model only they are slightly longer.  My thought is that these frames are for a seven pass sedan but I'm not sure what model.  I have the side windows, front, rear and quarter and my measurments are from one inside to the other horizontally in the middle of the window.  The heights are all roughly fourteen inches with lengths of 31 3/4 front side, 27 rear side and 23 rearside quarter.  Your 33 may have different frames but I think the window measurments would be the same as a 32.

Thanks, Don
Don Pettee CLC #20471