News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Recommended replacement carpet for 1960 SDV?

Started by TheMan90241, July 09, 2010, 03:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMan90241

I am searching through the many different manufacturers and Ebay auctions before I decide which carpet to purchase for my 1960 Sedan DeVille 6 window.   The one that looks best to me so far is a company called Quality Car Interiors.   http://qualitycarinterior.com/1960-cadillac-sedan-deville-4-door-carpet-with-2-yards-of-material.html  They have an option called "Mass Backing" that is a sound deadening material applied to the backing of the carpet. With the Mass Backing option, the cost is $456.90 plus S&H  Has anyone ever used this product before?  Can someone recommend a good alternative for correct carpet for my vehicle.   My car is a well kept all original vehicle with one repaint, and I would like to keep it that way.  Which manufacturer should I buy from?

Thanks,
Terry
Terry Goeckner
1947' Club Coupe series 62
1960' Sedan DeVille

cadman59

Hi Terry,

I bought mine (for my 1959 sedan) at SMS AutoFabrics (years ago). Nice quality carpet, thick felt backing, and decent fit (though not absolutely perfect).
At that time I had the choice of molded versus sewn. I opted for the molded version, but still don't know if this is really like the original (the original had already been replaced by a former owner). On many pictures I see of other 59's, there seems to be a sewn joint on top of the centre tunnel.
Besides the extra material to do the bottom of front bench and bottom of door panels, I had ordered extra material and extra heelpad to have mats custom-made. See the attached pictures for the carpet in my car.

Feiko (from an orange-coloured Netherlands due to the World Soccer Championship).
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

TheMan90241

That looks real sharp.  Is that a one-piece floor mat, or is that actually a part of the carpet kit I see?
Terry Goeckner
1960' Sedan DeVille

cadman59

Thanks,

It's a one-piece floormat you see. Partially to cover up the lacking of the seem I mentioned.
The picture below is grabbed from the web (so this one is not my car), and shows this seem. Compare to the pictures of my car in my previous post.

Feiko
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

TheMan90241

I will definately get one of those floor mats once the carpet is in.  Thanks.
Terry Goeckner
1960' Sedan DeVille

Otto Skorzeny

Also check with Carpets 4 Classics and Stock Interiors.

The contact information for both companies is available by clicking the link in my signature.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

My '60 coupe had original carpeting when I bought it, that sewn joint at the top of the tunnel is original.
Geoff
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dan LeBlanc

I second Otto's nod for Stock Interiors.  Having used them for my 62 Coupe, I found their turnaround time fast, pricing reasonable, and a good fit.  They do leave extra around the sides so you can trim to fit as needed.  As well, you won't find holes for the dimmer or gas pedal for the same reason.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TheMan90241

Just ordered my carpet from Stock Interiors.    i can hardly wait for it to arrive.  Thanks for all the advice.
Terry Goeckner
1960' Sedan DeVille