News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Did I get ripped off by the junkyard or...?

Started by Derek, July 09, 2010, 08:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek

OK, so as you know I have been trying to find a '67 Eldo T&T turn signal switch for a friend of mine.

As we know, there is only one T&T turn signal switch for 1967-68:

http://www.wmsbrg.com/cadillac/Richmond/Tech_Tips/1967_turn_signal_switch.htm

I ordered one switch from a junkyard -- the smaller, white switch in the picture.  It's SUPPOSED to be from a '67.

I ordered a complete steering column on Ebay for $50 + shipping from a '68, and pulled this second switch from it -- the larger, red switch in the pictures.

Surprise!  They're different.  Do you think that the junkyard guy erred in sending me the smaller white switch, or did I make some kind of mistake here, or did GM somehow use a leftover column from an older model when assembling the '67 the guy had in his junkyard??

I can't return the junkyard switch, but would love to know what it goes to.  You can see the black connector for the junkyard switch in a picture by itself.  The '68 switch has the correct half-moon shaped curved connector.

Otto Skorzeny

Junkyard's mess up all the time. They'll assume because two cars look the same, everything's the same.

I don't know which is which but someone here will. If they sent you the wrong part why wouldn't they take it back?  I can understand a no return policy if you were the one pulling the parts.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Derek

This guy made it clear that he wouldn't take it back because it was an electrical part.

Otto Skorzeny

That sucks. I'd still try if you find out it's wrong since it was his mistake and you couldn't have even hooked it up.
fward

Carfreak

If the piece is wrong, that has nothing to do with it being an electrical part. 

Did you pay by credit card?   File a dispute. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Steve Passmore

That one of the good things to come out of credit cards, they will withhold the sellers payment until the dispute is settled.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

dudley peters #25677

Derek,

I too had problems w my turn signal switch in my 67 CDV w T&T.  I took the same route and purchased a columum and removed the used switch.   I replace the faulty one only too find out that the one from the column was faulty too.  Then I found one on ebay NOS still in box.  For my 67 CDV with T & T part # is AC Delco 7805676      It took $325.00 to out bid some pretty heavy competition.  I installed the new one and "Bingo" all is great w my turn signals, flashers, back up lights, horn, cornering lights etc....     through this process I learned hands on a few things.
Let me share a little.  In 67 they used two different manufactures for the turn signal switches.  You can determine what you have by looking at the flasher button.  If the hole in the column for the flasher button is square then you should have a AC delco switch.   If it is round then the other manufacture was...............mmm cant remember.( wasnt important because i needed Delco)
To replace this switch is quite a bit of effort.  I would suggest the shop manual instructions and take your time.  Also, Before you start, straighten the wheels and mark the stem for straight up alignment on many of the pieces you remove.
Looking at your pictures I can say with positive kknowledge that the one with the longer stem, the dark red plastic, and the white plastic flasher switch attached is the correct one for my 67 CDV.  I does take some effort to replace this switch, so you only want to do it once.  If you want to call me and ask any thing else about it then feel free to do so. 

Dudley
East Coast time
Dudley Peters

Chris Conklin

As to being ripped off by the junk yard, it is pretty common for sellers (of all types) to state that electrical components are not returnable.
Chris Conklin

Derek

Yes, there are two manufacturers for the non-tilt switch, but only one for the T&T switch as I found.

I filed a dispute with the credit card company, after checking the invoice, there was nothing specifically written about electrical parts being non-returnable, just what the guy had told me when I called.

I feel that it shouldn't matter in this case because he sent me the wrong part, period.  It might as well have been the turn signal switch from a Ford.  Not as represented.

Looking back at my emails from him, my clue should have been that the ignition switch was on the column -- I don't think that happened in '68, IIRC they were all on the dash that year.

Otto Skorzeny

I would call them and explain that they sent you the wrong part and what method would they prefer you to ship it back?

Let them know you expect your card to be credited.
fward

Derek

I will give them a call this week.  I had already emailed when the part arrived, but had not heard back.  Since our initial contact was via email, I know they check it.

Derek

william_b_noble

you know, it isn't that hard to fix those switches unless the plastic has disintegrated.....
Bill N - clc # 2371

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jeffrey Burland

The only thing I've seen go wrong with these is the arms break off so the directionals don't cancel automatically or sometimes work at all. I thought you just drill out the pivot rivet and replace the C shaped directional, putting a small rivet or nut and bolt in it's place. I've done them before with good results. Here's a picture from an eBay ad showing the replacement. HTH, Jeff
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

Derek

Yes, this one had the cancel cam replaced once already, but the problem this time was a total electrical failure of the switch.

Hopefully the used one I found will work for my buddy.