News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

First Drive

Started by shavdog, July 09, 2010, 09:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shavdog

I will be accepting delivery of my 1932 Lasalle town coupe today...it has a 353 8 cylinder engine and has been claimed to be a  "driver" by the seller....my question is on my very first drive, is there anything specific before, during or after that I should be watching for....I'll check the fluid levels including adding some gas before I leave...I was planning on a five mile trip...whats the cruising speed of this car...thanks for any help...on that first trip I think I'll have my wife follow me...craig.....does this car take regular unleaded gas?
C Shavlik

TJ Hopland

I would be having a close look at is tires.   Look close for cracking and other signs of age.  Next I would be looking at brakes.  If they are hydraulic look close at the lines if mechanical have a good look at the linkage. Same with steering, have someone rock the wheel back and fourth while looking at the linkage to make sure there is not excessive play anywhere.  If I had the equipment I would be jacking things up for a spin and wiggle making sure its all looking and feeling good.   Engine or transmission problems would me very minor if you planned your route well but loosing a wheel or a brake or steering failure would really ruin your day.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

The 1932 LaSalle brakes were mechanical, if you've never driven a car with mechanical brakes don't expect a whole lot.  Get used to the braking action you have before you venture out into traffic.  With the engine's low compression regular unleaded gas is all you need.
Geoff
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

I would fill the gas tank to the top if it just has a small amount in it. This will help displace any moisture that may have condensed in an empty tank. I would also add a can of Heet or similar moisture displacing fuel stabilizer.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE