News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need advice on car transport company - cross country

Started by Scott Anderson CLC#26068, July 09, 2010, 05:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Hello - I'm new to the CLC forum and have purchased my first Cadillac, a 1941 convertible coupe. It is presently in Florida and I need it transported to Washington state and I am struggling with choosing a transport company; I'm hoping for some 'Adult Supervision' from the members as I've never done this before.

I have done a search on the forum ('trucking','transport','Passport', etc) and have read through the posts so please don't flame me. I've learned alot from that (for example my insurance is with J.C.Taylor, and through the posts' suggestions I will contact them to verify that I am insured also for the transport (in addition to the trucking company insurance)).

I'm (re) asking because most of the posts are a year or two old and things change. For example one post highly recommended Blue Highways but they've suspended operations. Also, FedEx has re-sold their piece back to Passport. And so on. I have seen sirjimi's post (http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,111165.0.html) as I think the most recent. 

Here's what I have so far, appreciate any suggestions, thoughts, from folks - hopefully this isn't too long, just wanted to share up front what I have:

FedEx - fedex.com
Pros:
-I've two friends that had good experience with them, also recommended by Lance Lambert (vintagevehicles.com).
-I understand that the driver is personally responsible for the first $2600 in damage to the vehicle.
- AAA 'A' rating, no complaints last 36 months.
- Good reviews online - mostly excellent, (some 4 out of 5 star, 2 bad): http://www.transportreviews.com/company/fedex-custom-critical-(ex-passport-auto-transport.asp
Cons:
-They've just been sold (as of July 1), although back to Passport trucking - same folks from whom FedEx bought them. Allegedly nothing has changed...

Exotic Car Transport - http://exoticcartransport.com/
Pros:
-Recommended by restorer of the car. He uses them to move his cars to Pebble Beach. Has only had one damage claim in many moves and they handled it well.
-Specifically mention on their website background checks, drug testing etc for driver candidates.
- Once setup through their office, I can track the van myself.
- Uncertain of dispatch schedule, could be a couple of weeks  to pickup once arranged.
- No AAA rating, no complaints.
-Good reviews online, 4/5 went perfectly:
http://www.transportreviews.com/company/exotic-transport.asp

Reliable Carriers - http://reliable-carriers.com/default.cfm
Pros:
- Some good and some bad reviews on this forum.
- Have GPS tracking for the van, only through the office which is in a different time zone than I, and only Mon - Fri and part of Sat.
- No COD - payment at pickup
- Website lists customized transport trailers - special lifts, tie downs, etc.
- 'A' BBB rating, 1 complaint in last 12 months and 1 complaint in last 36 months.
- Good review online: http://www.transportreviews.com/review/00043130.asp

Horseless Carriage -
- Good reviews on this forum
- Have GPS tracking for the van,done only through the office which is in a different time zone than I, and only Mon - Fri.
- Driver won't be calling me for progress updates, only for delivery.
- Driver is personally liable for $5K of any damage. No deductible on rest of insurance.
- COD is possible although no credit cards.
- Good reviews online - http://www.transportreviews.com/company/horseless-carriage-carriers-inc.asp
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

Congratulations, Scott.  Is that the '41 convertible in Vero Beach, FL?
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Yessir. Since you're apparantly familiar with the car, if you've any thoughts about it please email me at sanderson1962email addresses not permitted.

TonyZappone #2624

I have used Exotic, they are nice people.  I discovered damage some time after the shipment, they really didn't have to do anything, but they made it right.  There is a fellow in Daytona who hauls cars with a large double enclosed unit.  He may be going to Pebble Beach, and have an opening for the west coast.  He has hauled for me many times, and he is great.  His name is Terry Marsh, phone number386-405-2797.  He hauls for some of the real big collectors and I can highly recommend him.  You may tell him Tony Zappone reommended him.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

veesixteen

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Classic

Any of the above carriers should be OK.

Both my son and I used other lessor known carriers and they ended up "brokering" the loads to even lessor known carriers.  Caused some anxious moments when loads were missing and/or not delivered on time.  But ultimately worked out OK.

I suggest that whatever carrier you use, make it clear to them that you want your car transported in their trucks, not someone elses!
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Thank you everyone for your time in replying. I'm making notes and will follow up. Anyone else have thoughts to share?

By copy to Classic - I definately have been ensuring there to be no brokering. My wife's move cross country was my opportunity to live that dream and I won't do it again.

By copy to Tony - Exotic pretty much had my business based on the recommendation I got from the restorer; my thought was why reinvent the wheel if that's who he uses...and yet when I originally called them and then called back with a more definate pickup window both times they were pretty vague on any plans for dispatch to the USWC (...could be a couple weeks, we're not sure...) and I just left the phone call with a feeling that they weren't really looking to do it. So odd and yet it's happened twice...In any case thank you also for replying to my carpet posting too.

- Scott

yachtflame

Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

Bill Podany #19567

Don't us FedEx Passport Transport.  You will be in trouble if you have a damage claim that they created.  I know from an expensive and elongated and miserable experience.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Thank you again to all who responded.

I've elected to go with Exotic Transport, chiefly again due to the recommendation of the restorer of the car, and will advise about the experience when it's complete.

- Scott