News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Radio Options 75 Eldorado

Started by Jeff Wilk, July 10, 2010, 07:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Hi all, what were the different Radio options for the 75 Eldorado?  Any good firms out there for modern day replacements to keep the original fitting/look?  Currently have the am/fm 8 track option which is kind of cool.

jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

TJ Hopland

AM/FM pushbutton Radio   $138
AM/FM signal-seeking stereo Radio   $328
AM/FM radio with tape   $416

These people have been in the classic auto sound for quite a while and have several options.  Back when you could still buy a 'shaft' style radio you could do better that way but since no one makes those any more they about our best option.   I dont think they have a cadillac specific one but they have them that fit without mods and have chrome knobs so they look more like the original.  They also sell a little control pad that mounts to any flat surface and the rest can be in the glove box, trunk, or under the seat.  They have mp3 and cd options also.  I have some cars with some of their older products and they are decent.  My opinion of the older stuff is it was alright sound quality and features but nothing special.  It was better than the stock 60's and 70's stuff because they had a digital tuner that didnt drift like the originals seemed to do at this age.   
http://www.casmfg.com/

I have also read about other options including a guy that guts the old unit to install modern innards. It was a lot more money so I never really looked close.

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Davidinhartford

In 1975,  an AM/FM radio is standard on all cars.  On the Fleetwood Brougham and Eldorado series cars the AM/FM Stereo Signal Seeking Radio is standard.    The AM/FM Stereo Tape player was the only radio option on the Eldorados.   <from the 1975 Dealer managers ordering catalog.

In 76 a weather band radio was offered as an option too.  They are pretty rare to find.   Then in 77 or 78 a Stereo with CB was added as an option.  I don't think a cassette was offered until 79 or 80.

TJ Hopland

No tape option in other than eldos?   That seems strange.  You could get tape decks in much lesser cars by then.  I wonder why Cadillac did not at least offer it as an option. What that what the dealer installed under dash unit was for?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Carfreak

Quote from: DavidInHartford

The AM/FM Stereo Tape player was the only radio option on the Eldorados.

Quote from: TJ Hopland

No tape option in other than eldos?

TJ,

I believe you are misinterpreting David's comment.  

Read it again and think about the level of luxury offered in the Eldo and what were standard options.  

As such, the only upgrade to the standard radio in an Eldo would be to get a tape deck.  

David did not say '8-track available only in Eldo'
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

TJ Hopland

Ok I get it now.    I was thinking you could get a tape on any cadillac. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Davidinhartford

Correct.   The 8-track tape stereo was optional on all Cadillacs in 75.   But not if you had a series 75 sedan or limousine and wanted rear seat radio controls.  The rear controls only came with the signal seeking stereo option up front.   Base radio on the limos was still the plain AM/FM.

My point on the earlier thread was that if you bought an Eldorado it already had the stereo upgrade as standard.  So the only option then was the tape player.

I'm working on scanning in the complete 1975 Optional specifications book.   This is what the sales manager used to special order cars.    Its 48 pages so it will take a while to get it all scanned in and uploaded.   I've got about 19 pages up so far.     Here is a link to it.   http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrysler_guy/sets/72157624341317875/