News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 correct interior tan color

Started by autoluke, July 11, 2010, 12:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoluke

Any reference available for the interior tan on  convertible roof bows  ?
Phil Lukens

Tom Magdaleno

I took a couple pictures of a 38 V16 at the Neathercutt museum.  This was an original car.  It may be the same color as your 41.  If you need a color matched any good paint shop should be able to do it. 
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper

autoluke

I am actually looking for a color code .   Anything available ?

Phil
Phil Lukens

srk1941

When I had my '41 top restored, the shop took the tan canvas that was going on the top (from Jenkins) and matched the tan paint color to that. 
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

Mike Simmons 938

Autoluke- IF - your steering column and hand brake lever are the same as your top hardware (assuming any original color is left to compare), then the color is called: Gold Bronze Dulux No. HT-182X-6232.

I presume this is the Duco-Dulux  stuff where Duco was an enamel and Dulux a lacquer--MAYBE. I cannot remember who made them- Dupont  ? R&M??  Info for Strg Col color came from a 1948 Cad Chassis Parts book ( page X)

Doug Houston

The top bows were never documented in the color charts. As already mentioned, the steering column and brake lever were the gold Dulux.

On the convertibles I've seen that were original, as my own had been, the clolor of the bows was a sort of brown beige.  I have a '41 Olds convertible sedan, and the steering column, heater case, and convertible top bows were that same brown beige. If you're worried about losing points in judging, challenge the judges. That information just was never specified.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Fred Zwicker #23106

Previous Quote:  "When I had my '41 top restored, the shop took the tan canvas that was going on the top (from Jenkins) and matched the tan paint color to that."

When I restored my 1939 LaSalle, the metal roof bows were originally painted a tan color that was close to the color of the inside material of the convertible top, but they were scratched and nicked and had some minor rust.. Matching the interior of the top material makes sense, since it would look better if everything blended in, rather than metal roof bows of another color. 

If you want to save time in obtaining a matching color, there are many shades of tan available in aerosol spray cans at most hardware and box stores.  In my case, the top is a medium tan color, so I ended up finding a perfect match at Home Depot in a fast-drying satin finish.  This paint was made by "Rust-Oleum Painter's Choice" and the color was called "Nutmeg".  It was a perfect match, although the original paint was probably not a satin finish.  If you want a nice semi-gloss finish, keep looking at the hardware stores and you will find something.  I found that "Krylon" makes many shades of tan that are close to most interiors.  One day I bought a selection of 4 or 5 of their ivory and tan spray cans and did test painting on 4" square pieces of metal to determine the results after the paint dried.  Be sure to mark each brand name and color on the rear of your test panels, as you will have many.  I also found that Krylon makes a nice brown enamel that was a perfect match for my original Cadillac heater that was in the LaSalle.

Two pictures are attached - one of the interior, showing the metal roof bow and the larger wood rear roof bow that is covered with matching cloth material.  The other shows the exterior of the top, to get an idea of the tan color and also to show the detail of the chrome strips across the rear (and also one in the front) of the top.  Most trim shops miss this and use a fabric or vinyl welt.  These chrome strips are available from Jenkins (expensive) and are not easy to install.  I had my top done by a trim shop in Akron and while they did a good job, I did not furnish them with these chrome strips.  Once I realized that they were on the car originally, I removed the just-installed new top and replaced it with the correct version.  This is not my normal way of doing things, but I wanted to get it right. 

My second and correct top was made by and installed by Jim Roll (now deceased) of Tailored Trim in New Philadelphia, Ohio.  Jim was a well-known upholsterer, concentrating on high-end cars.   At the Glenmoor Gathering in Canton, there is a trophy for best interior given in his name each year.  Glenmoor is an invitation-only concourse show and is being held at the Glenmoor Country Club in Canton this year on September 17-19.  If you are in the area, you will not want to miss this show.  See www.glenmoorgathering.com for more information.  Many Cadillacs and LaSalles are always shown at Glenmoor and the entire operation is a class act.

Fred

1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

srk1941

Mine is very close to what Fred has pictured for his LaSalle.

The bows on my '41, which had the original paint before we restored it, closely matched this color you see here.  Because it was scratched, stained, and had oxidized, the restorer used that as a foundation to start color matching, but then got the top material from Jenkins to see what the underside color was, to match it to that as well.  It doesn't look as light in person as it does here

Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

Steve Passmore

I handy little tip for anyone wanting to match the colour of the material on their rear wood bow to the interior colour of the top as some of these top materials sometimes come in "herring bone" pattern and slightly different shades of beige or black, the mohair or double duck is much too thick to make a good job of covering these bows, it doesn't fold round easily, it is possible, hard, but possible to peel the inner layer of material off the topping, bow usually takes a 4" strip, peel only the amount you need as its a hard job but its obviously a perfect match.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe