News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

I guess we better be careful with our restorations and body swaps.

Started by okccadman, July 13, 2010, 11:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okccadman

Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

DUC

Chris Henry

1954 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Guidematic

1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Otto Skorzeny

Idiots. Leave the VIN plate alone and just sell the car as a clone.

What I don't get is why they removed a vin plate in the first place? They didn't have a bunch of wrecked original Shelbys that they were pulling the plates off of did they?

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Guidematic

Switching VIN plates is hot new in this hobby. Sometimes it seems reasonable to change the body over with a solid original replacement since the body has too far gone for restoration. The drive line and other components get transferred to this "new" body.

Some will say it's OK, others will say it's wrong, but I don't think it's illegal.

But what I do see wrong is transferring a VIN to a new body as they are doing. These cars should be sold as new cars. I know that the buyers know they are essentially reproductions, but in the eyes of the law they are new cars being sold as 196x cars.

I would imagine that Carrol Shelby is behind this and rightfully so. It's blatant copyright infringement on their part. I don't think they are being sold as a licensed product.

Mike

Otto Skorzeny

I suppose if they were sold as new cars they would have to meet all the federal safety and fuel regulations of 2010 instead of 1966.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

okccadman

Mike,  I believe they are actually the only company licensed by Shelby and the Producers of Gone in 60 Seconds.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Brad Hemingson

They do this in order to register the car as '66 or '67 or whatever year car the VIN came off of. They are doing the same for 69 Camaro's. Almost all parts for these vintage Mustangs are being reproduced but not all. They get a donor car and it provides a VIN and the few parts not being reproduced so you get a "new" '67 Mustang. The company is not defrauding anybody, all the customers know exactly what they're getting.

The issue is swapping VIN's, which used to be a dandy way of hiding stolen cars. In years gone by people would buy a wreck and get it's VIN then steal a car and swap VINs and sell the stolen car with a salvage title.

Guidematic

Often in these cases, the real rationale behind it is cloudy. Sometimes someone will get a burr up their butt and go on a mission. Copyright lawyers could be behind it and so forth. What we see is the outcome of it all. A company raided, shut down and a whole lot of people out their investments.

I have read some articles in the past where Carroll has been behind the stoppage of reproduced parts, even though they have been licensed thus far. One that stands to mind is the recent feud he had with the Shelby Owners Club where he withdrew his support from them. They have since patched things up, but there was to be no more use of his name or likeness by them anymore. He was not to be associated in any way with them.

Mike