News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

converting hydro electric to crank windows

Started by mhowlett, July 14, 2010, 10:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhowlett

The 49 fletwood Iam working on has the original hydro electric system intact,however it dosent apper to be in good shape.It has leaking door cylenders with brake fluid eating the paint off door bottems etc.I do have another cmplete system in a parts car.How do you test rams and pump to see if good?Next question in experimenting with my parts cars I discovered the crank up windows from my 48 62 sedan are a direct bolt in front and rear and work excellent in the Fleetwood.If I went this route what would it do to the value of the car?Any suggestions would be apprieciated.

Otto Skorzeny

As far as what to do, it's usually easier and less stressful to repair and re-install the original equipment rather than retro-fit something else.

You can have your system rebuilt or purchase a new system from a company called Hydro-E-Lectric.

Also, once your system is rebuilt you can use virtually any other fluid (hydraulic oil, transmission fluid) besides brake fluid to run the system and not have to worry about corrosion if it leaks in the future.

Click on the link in my signature to find HEL's contact information

I'm not sure what effect a switch to crank windows would have on the value but people like automatic windows, especially on an antique car.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Caddy Wizard

I have to respectfully disagree a little with Otto (usually we see things the same way).  For some buyers (maybe even most), switching to crank up windows will be a negative and would hurt the value/market for the car.  On the other hand, there are folks out there who are afraid of the HE windows because of the leaking, paint damage, cost of repairs, etc.  For those people, which might be a small percentage, the HE windows themselves are a negative.  The other negative about HE windows is that I believe the safe way to use them is to keep them down when not in use. 

On balance, however, I tend to agree that the safe thing to do as far as value/marketability is to restore the original windows.  If you really don't want to do that and plan to keep the car, then switch to rollup windows.  If you put the roll up mechanisms and tracks in top shape, they roll up very easily and smoothly.  Personally, I like the roll up windows and am a little afraid of the HE windows.

I long to own a 49 60S and I if I ever get one, I am conflicted about whether I would keep the HE windows or change them. 

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

mhowlett

Thanks for the input,still not shure wich way to go.I would like like to keep the power windows,however from all the other posts I see it looks like the hydro electric system is very expensive and very troublesome.Maybe convert to electric power windows?

76eldo

Be VERY careful working on these windows.

Certain parts are under spring tension and you could lose fingers easily if you are not familiar with what you are working on.

Hydro Electric is an excellent source for rebuilt components and advice.

GET A SHOP MANUAL before taking these things apart.

FYI, hydraulic pressure raises the windows, tension springs pull them down when the valve is opened when you operate the button.  At least that's how my Packard was.

Use caution.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

35-709

I think converting to all electric power windows is an excellent option if you are not looking for strict originality.  The only interior visual difference will probably be the window switches themselves.  There are several universal power window kits on the aftermarket, most all of them for flat glass, that the custom car builders and street machine builders use.  Been there, done that.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2