News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

61 deville pulls hard to the right when braking.

Started by Eugene, July 15, 2010, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eugene

My 61 deville pulls hard right when braking.  Tire pressure is equal and brakes are adjusted evenly.  Could it be the alignment or maybe a bad wheel cylinder?  It only pulls when the brakes are applied.

Otto Skorzeny

Could be lots of things.

I would check the left front brake first. Since it's pulling right, the right brake is working and the left brake isn't. Your hose might be collapsing or the piston is hanging up or something.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Guidematic

Differant caster angles on the front wheels can cause a brake pull as well. But you will need an alignment shop to check that.

Also check the condition of the front end. I think they used strut rods in '61, so the left strut rod bushing may be loose or worn.

This is assuming that the brakes are in good condition.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Dan LeBlanc

1961 had the luxury of self-adjusting brakes, so, if everything is working properly there, the pulling is likely the result of a collapsed flex hose.  I had a 1979 GMC Van that I fixed for someone with the same problem - pulling hard to one side and brakes dragging.  They already did new pads, rotors, and calipers, but no flex hoses and still had the same problem they started with.  I changed the flex hoses and voila, problem solved.  When I cut the old hose open, it was so swollen inside that one could not even pass a needle through it.  The hoses were new in 1999.  I replaced them two weeks ago.

If your hoses haven't been replaced in awhile, I'd bet dollars to donuts that they are your problem.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

Tires can sometimes do strange things and those are easy for an non mechanic to swap to see if the problem moves or changes.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dan LeBlanc

Another thing, try cracking the bleeding the front brakes - if little to no fluid comes out of the bleeder screw, or if fluid shoots out when you crack it, it's a great sign of a collapsed hose.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

35-709

The subject of bad brake hoses comes up often.  One of those things that few seem to think about, even mechanics, as in the GMC Van story that Dan LeBlanc related.  Like fuel line hoses they should be checked regularly and replaced every 10 years or so.  Not saying that is your problem but a likely one to check, and replace them anyway if you do not know how old they are or if you do know they are old.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

william_b_noble

here is my experience - a 59 seville - so very similar car - rear seals leaking puts oil on brake shoes - leak caused by clogged vent in differential.  I would bet you an NOS donut that this is what is causing your problem.

do the following:
1. open/drain differential.
2. put your air gun in the drain hole and pressurize it - you should hear air leaking out the top via a vent - in my case, there was a POP and then the air leaked out.  Getting the vent clear is critical, otherwise as you drive the car, the heat causes the air to expand and it forces oil through the seals.
3. replace the seals on both wheels
4. replace the oily brake shoes, clean the drums with acetone or lacquer thinner.  While you are at it, bleed the brakes to get all the old fluid out (brake fluid is hydroscopic, unless you use dot 5 fluid, change it every year or two).
5. reassemble, readjust, and you will be good for a another 1/2 century
Bill N - clc # 2371

eugene

replaced both front flex hoses and it doesnt pull to the right any more.
Thanks for all the help!