News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Purchasing out of state vintage Cadillac

Started by Robert Leonard, July 16, 2010, 11:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Leonard

Hello All - I've found a 1975 Cadillac in Grand Rapids MI that I want to purchase and ship to CA.  Normally I would simply drive the car to the shipper and register it in CA when it arrived. However, this Cadillac is being sold by a Cadillac dealer.  I am not sure how to handle this as I don't want to pay sales tax and registration in both states and I am no longer in MI (I'm at the CLC GN in KC) so I can't be with the car at the time of the sale.  Knowledge and advice on to proceed would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,
Rob Leonard
SoCal CLC Director

Carfreak

Theoretically, the dealer in Mich should be able to either allow you to 'Opt Out' of paying the State of Michigan Sales Tax

OR collect the appropriate Calf Sales Tax and forwarding it to Calf on your behalf.  

Have you actually asked the dealer about this situation?  

By chance is it Harvey Cadillac?   The Western Michigan Region has in the past held events at this dealership and they 'should' be helpful if you mention your CLC affiliation.  
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

35-709

I agree with CF.  The Cadillac dealer should be well versed in selling cars out of state, there should be no reason for you to pay the Michigan tax since you do not live there and the car will not be registered there.  You will no doubt pay the California tax when you title the car in CA. 
If the shipper cannot pick up the car at the dealership I would make arrangements with the dealer to deliver the car to the shipper's pickup location, this shouldn't be a big deal and that is what dealer plates are for, or the car can be flat bedded to the shipper.  The few shippers I have dealt with will pick up the car where it is unless they cannot get their truck into that location.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Chris Conklin

Keep in mind, if the dealer processes the paperwork you will not only be paying CA taxes on the sale, you will be paying license fees commensurate with the full reported price of the car. Our license fees don't decline as quickly as they used to.
Chris Conklin