News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

My Locking Brakes on my 59 Coupe Deville

Started by fnoti, July 17, 2010, 08:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnoti

You guys have been a great help "talking me down off the ledge".  This Monday my mechanic and I are going to tackle my elusive brake issue.  Does anyone know if you are able to use a more modern year brake booster or was it master cylinder.  They are thinking of replacing the part that is just after the brake resouvior and I just dont remember if they said the name of it was master cylinder or brake booster.  Anyway we were all talking and another guy at the garage told me to ask if we might be able to use a more modern part or to see if anyone has an idea of what to do.

Whats happening is when i apply the brakes, especially if I have to do it hard, the peddle will go down but just not come back up in turn locking all the wheels up.  I have to sit and wait for the peddle to come back up.  The brake fluid is not leaking under the car.

Otto Skorzeny

Frank,

A regular contributor on the modified CLC forum has a '59 and has already done what you are considering. Perhaps posting your question there will get you the guidance you seek.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php/board,1.0.html
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

william_b_noble

please, have the mechanic check the rear wheels for oil leaking as I had suggested - you do not need to modify the car to get adequate brakes, honest.
Bill N - clc # 2371

35-709

Your brake booster can be rebuilt, no need to search out a different one and go through the hassle of making it work.  Two brake booster rebuild experts that have been recommended here in the past are:

Ed Strain in Pinellas Park, FL
800-266-1623
and
Booster Dewey in Portland, OR
503 238-8882

NAPA may have a rebuilding service, check with them, they will send your unit out.  For some years they will have rebuilts available for exchange, for others they will have to have your unit rebuilt.  NAPA may also have an overhaul kit available that your mechanic can use, the overhaul procedure is in the '59 Shop Manual.
Geoff N. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2