News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

advice requested on fuel leak in '61 caddy

Started by sir jimi, July 22, 2010, 01:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sir jimi

Much to my chagrin, I discovered a fuel line leak just above the axle of the front passenger wheel (see picture).  It doesn't leak with the car off, but it leaks about a drop a second when the car is running.  That may explain why the car stinks up the garage more than I expected for even an old car.

In any event, it seems like a definite safety issue that I want to resolve right away.  I've never fixed a fuel line and don't have a repair manual (yet!), so I'm leaning toward having a reputable shop just address it for me.  Some questions:
1) Is this a straightforward, relatively low expense fix for a shop (given where the known leak is)?  I don't see drips anywhere else but in this spot.
2) Are those pipe clamps on the line normal/stock, or is this a 'hack' from the previous owner.  Should the fuel line connection be made a different way?

On perhaps a related note: The two (fuel?) lines that run along the bottom of the chasis on the passenger side to the back, intermittently start to "knock".  The knocking sound comes from under the back passenger side seat and increases with acceleration/RPMs, not speed.  I felt the two lines and could feel them pulsating.  Then sometimes i hear nothing.  Is this normal for the lines to pulsate?  Is it simply a matter of securing them a little tighter so they don't move against the chasis (I'm not talking much movement here), or is indicative of something bigger.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Jim

The Tassie Devil(le)

Not sure when the cars with A/C had a return line, but I would be repairing it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

mrspeedyt

seems to me that it's time to replace all the rubber hose lines on both fuel lines.... i would guess the gas return line is leaking  :-\
s. twitchell

35-709

If one hose is leaking I would most certainly replace them all!  You will find 2 more rubber hoses at the fuel tank (1 hose if you don't have AC) that can be removed and changed without dropping the tank.   
As far as the knocking or pulsating of the lines is concerned I do not know about that, but securing them a little better can't hurt.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dan LeBlanc

Have you tightened the clamp?  Maybe it just worked loose or perhaps when it was installed, it was slightly stripped and that could be the source of the leak.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

35-709

A shot in the dark about the line making a pulsating noise, and it goes back to old rubber fuel lines.  Your fuel pump pumps in a pulsing fashion, on the inlet side it is sucking fuel.  So --- here goes --- if you have a weak fuel line hose at the tank it may be rapidly collapsing and un-collapsing as the fuel pump suction pulses hit it but still allowing enough fuel through to let the engine run.  The sound increases with RPMs because the pump is pumping faster.  Collapsing fuel and brake hoses are common as they get older.  Those lines should be replaced anyway if they are old or their age is unknown as has been said.  It would be interesting to hear if replacing the hoses has any affect on that "knocking" noise.  Comments?
Geoff N.     
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

cadman49

hi sir jimi just my 2 cents worth.  this new gas does not like the old rubber hoses.it actually eats the rubber !! when you replace the fuel lines(all of them) make sure the parts guy gives you the new good stuff.probably wont be an issue,as i dont think anybody sells that old style rubber hose anymore.   i have old cads and run into the same problem good luck --richard

Art Woody

No excuse for not having a '61 motor manual. Search buy/sell. Art Woody