News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Your tales of replacing oem door weather stripping with reproduction

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, July 23, 2010, 12:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

The Good-the Bad and the Ugly. My oem stripping is melting onto the body in certain areas and with 6 samples from Steele, I don't see anything that matches my oem.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadman59

Still struggling with the roofrail weatherstripping on my '59 6-window sedan.
I got them from Steele, but up front, on the lower corner of the windshield pillar, they don't fit at all. Have already modified them, but still not satisfactorily.
People say Steele is the best. Well, most of their rubber parts are really good, but this roofrail weatherstripping is certainly not.

Feiko
Netherlands
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Chris Conklin

Is this happening all around the door or just by the a-pillar in the photo? How old is the stripping? How close to Hades do you live?  ;D  I can't imagine the stripping actually melting in that manner without heat or chemicals.

And my tales of weather stripping would be a recommendation of Steele Rubber. Especially for my doors. They are the only ones I've found that have the correct ends on the latch side and at the a-pillar.
Chris Conklin

Jeff Maltby 4194

Chris. My stripping is oem. The left door has the problem only on the a-pillar and the rear upper corner as in the first picture. The right door is fine.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

I removed the melted rubber with my finger nail then used WD40 to remove the rest.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Misfit

Feiko. You and I have the same problem. The roof rail is about 4 inches too long, and I've yet to find someone that makes the correct one. It looks like hell when you open the door, but for now, it's keeping the rain out. Not well, but better than the old dryed out OEM stuff.

If I have to leave the car at a show or someplace and it looks like it will rain, I put towels on the doors and carpeting to soak up any water.

Fins

Chris Conklin

That's just odd. I would bet that if you tried to melt that old rubber it would turn to dust.

One other company you may want to try (if you haven't already) is Metro, http://www.metrommp.com/. I used their products for my side-rails and header seal. So far... so good. Big difference between three pieces of weatherstrip in side rails as opposed to a full circumference around your door, though. But it all installed well and fit was correct. The rubber is a bit softer than the Steel Rubber product, but they warrant it for 15 years and it was less money than Steele. 15 years is probably the limit here in the land of smog anyway.  8)
Chris Conklin

Brett Cottel

try cleanseal.com I bought my stripping for the car except the front curved portion near the windshield. cost was .50 cents a foot...online catalog....takes a little looking but worked for me
HTH
Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

kelly

I used a lot of Steele rubber on my 57'. The only problem I ran into was a section of a door preimeter seal not sticking well.  I concluded the seal had some mold release compound or other contamination on it. A good wipe down with solvent would have prevented this mis-step.
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

cadman59

Quote from: John Serio #22631 on July 26, 2010, 06:57:49 PM
Feiko. You and I have the same problem. The roof rail is about 4 inches too long, and I've yet to find someone that makes the correct one. It looks like hell when you open the door, but for now, it's keeping the rain out. Not well, but better than the old dryed out OEM stuff.

If I have to leave the car at a show or someplace and it looks like it will rain, I put towels on the doors and carpeting to soak up any water.

Fins

John,

At least it is good to know I am not the only one with this problem. Everyone else I spoke told me Steele is the best, and the problem can hardly be with their products.
The reason I am replacing the old weatherstripping is to keep the rain out, so I would no longer need these towels!
In fact I think it will keep the rain out now, but I had to do some cutting and glueing on the new weatherstripping to get it fit... sort of.
Besides that, there is a rather thick layer of weatherstripping now in the lower corner of the windshield post, making it hard to close the front doors; how are your doors closing?

Feiko
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Misfit

QuoteBesides that, there is a rather thick layer of weatherstripping now in the lower corner of the windshield post, making it hard to close the front doors; how are your doors closing?

If I took pictures you would laugh.   :'(

But that's an idea. Cut it to fit. That's why I'm not a designer. I don't have a creative bone in my body. Give me a plan and I'll make it work. Throw the materials at me and I'm just lost.

Fins