News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

AirBaggit suspension installation

Started by Peter Gidlow, July 23, 2010, 04:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Gidlow

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had any firsthand experience of fitting Airbagit suspension? (www.airbagit.com)

I have a complete set, front and rear which I am in the process of fitting.  The rear ones are fine but the front ones look a bit squashed to me.  The car is off the ground with the wheels in the fully extended position and even then air bags look too squashed, heaven knows what would happen if I put some air in them then lowered the car down.

It looks to me that the airbags would foul on the spring pocket cut out on the chassis if I lowered onto the wheels with air pressure in the bags.  Do I need to cut back the lower flanged area of the spring pocket to get clearance?
I have spoken to the guys at Airbagit and they sent me some instructions, which did n't help much as they were too general.

Got be carefull what I do being the other side of the pond.  It gets expensive sending things back if I've broken them   :-[

Peter
CLC 23189
Peter Gidlow
Great Britain
CLC 23189

Peter Gidlow

Sorry guys, forgot to mention it's on  66 Eldorado I'm restoring  :-[
Peter Gidlow
Great Britain
CLC 23189

Chris Conklin

If you're "restoring" a '66 Eldorado, why are you bagging it? Have you posed this question on the Modified board, http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/? Most of their membership is on this forum as well, there will likely be more experience and knowledge from that arena.

But again, the only air suspension on that car should be the Auto Level Ride (ALR). It should have air shocks in the rear and a vacuum-actuated compressor (my term) that adjusts the rear shocks under load and after load. The front of the car is a traditional suspension.
Chris Conklin

Peter Gidlow

Hmm yeah good point re the modified forum,..I'll do that.

Peter
Peter Gidlow
Great Britain
CLC 23189