News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A/C Leaking

Started by Jeff Wilk, July 23, 2010, 10:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

OK, before anyone goes nuts on me, this is a question for a quick fix not on my Classic 59 & 75 Caddy's but to a leaky under dash evaporator on an 2003 GM Truck that is not worth spending the $1,500 the dealer wants to replace the evaporator.  Question is this.....has anyone used these a/c recharge and dye and stop leak cans before that you can by at any auto parts store with any success?  Again, I am not doing this in my two classic caddies.....just the Suburban that I use to get all the stuff I need to keep the Cadillacs in top shape 8-)

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Wayne Womble 12210

Probably wasting your money.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Never heard of "Stop Leak" for A/C's, seeing as they operate at such high pressures, but I have heard of the Dyes, and my A/C place uses it to find leaks.

If you have a leak, then it NEEDS fixing properly, and there is no reason you can't do the job yourself, with a Workshop Manual in hand, and simply buy the replacement parts from Napa, or some other place that is cheaper than the Dealer.

Don't forget that most of the $1,500.00 will be swallowed up in Labour Time, at something like $100.00 per hour.

Get an A/C shop to discharge the unit, fix it, and then have the same shop recharge it.   And charge you a whole lot less.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bill henry

most ac people call that stop leak death in a can because it clogs every screen and filter in the system.
Bill Henry

TJ Hopland

I also vote for the have it discharged then speed the weekend replacing the part yourself route.   Another problem that could happen is eventually the oil leaking from the leak will coat the outside of the coil and collect dirt to the point you dont get any air flow which includes heat.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

william_b_noble

with some research, you might be able to find out what the most common source of the leak might be - on many cars it seems like the AC evaporator is held in place while the car is built around it - still, like a heater core, it is possible to get it out after a few hours of disassembly.  Presuming you have the mechanical skills, you can certainly fix this yourself - and if it has a leak, the system is probably empty anyway - it will use R134 so you don't have to worry as much about venting any residue but I would cover any open connections to keep crud out.

I've changed AC compressors on several Porsche cars and repaired damaged hoses, depending on where you live you may be able to get away without a long vacuum soak when you are done (e.g. if it's dry, then the system won't suck in moisture, if you are in humid country, it will).  If you suspect the evaporator, you can disassemble until you can see it, and use some R134 with dye to charge the system up and then use the UV light to find where it's leaking. 
Bill N - clc # 2371

mgbeda

I have a '96 Jaguar that I bought in '99.  It had a leak in the AC, and since it was still under warranty the dealer "fixed" it for free, changing the evaporator.  A year or two later it leaked again, dealer did same fix, also free.  A year or two later it leaked again but was now out of warranty.  I used a can of AC stop leak and it has worked fine since and never leaked again.

For what it's worth...

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Kevin Bielinski #13320

The AC stop leak and dye have been known to clog orifice tubes. I don't use either of them. I have repaired well over 100 automotive ac systems in my time and always use my electronic refrigerant detector at its lowest sensitivity.
CLC Western Regions Vice President
1970 Coupe Deville
1973 Miller Meteor 3 Way
1976 Series 75 Sedan
1988 Flower Car
1971 Lincoln Mark III
1984 Lincoln Town Car
1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
2001 Lincoln Krystal Hearse

Past Vehicles
1971 Chevy Impala
1973 Chevy Monte Carlo