News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Spark plug blueing - 41 convertible coupe

Started by Scott Anderson CLC#26068, July 24, 2010, 06:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Hello all

The restorer of my car has told me that the spark plugs originally had blueing on the hexagon shaped portion one sets one's wrench against (tried looking it up on the web but there seems to be several names for it).

In any case, has anyone done this? Suggestions as to which product to use (I can go to a sporting goods store and get - something but...) ?

Thanks very much
Scott

1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

Go to your local gun shop. They sell various types of bluing for refinishing weapons.

Why do you want to do this - to keep it from rusting? You can clear coat like you do with a master cylinder.

The last set of Ford Motorcraft plugs I bought were blued.

Here's a product for cold bluing firearms. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1108/Product/OXPHO_BLUE_reg__CREME

For the most durable finish, a hot bluing process is used. It involves heating the solution on the stove with the SPOTLESS, POLISHED metal dipped into the solution. I've done this on an old Argentine 1911 Colt 45 with great success.

Seems like a lot of work for spark plugs.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

r thomas

If you mask off the porcelainon part of the plug. then give it a light bead blasting, it will take the bluing very nicely.

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Hi Otto

As I'd mentioned in the original post, it was on the advice of the man that restored my car (Steve Cooley, of Homosassa Florida).

Here's a slice from an AACA forum post about it -
Thanks, Scott

Re: Spark Plug Bluing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an AACA judge I can tell you that many points are lost at every show due to cad plated plugs before 1956 as well as incorrect hose clamps. Remember, any AACA member can get a Judging Manual and check these details. Plastic tire valve caps prior to 1951 are also cause for deduction.
1948 Buick Woody

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Thank you r thomas -

Appreciate the heads up.

I think at this point I'm going to find some plugs that already come blackened, but also will take Otto's suggestion (Otto, forgot to mention that in my reply to your post, thanks again for the idea) and then clear the bases before installing. Just hate that rusty look...

- SA