News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

To Paint or Not to Paint?

Started by Fred Pennington 25635, July 28, 2010, 12:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Pennington 25635

Greetings
For those of you who know far more about these things than me.

Is it better to paint items that are usually bare cast iron like Master Cylinders and Steering Gears with a cast iron colored paint or a clear coat or is it better left bare. If left bare do you want to keep it clean or let it rust? If you let it rust how far do you let it go, just a light rust or just let it age naturally.

Hope this is clear
I am working on a 40' LaSalle but this is applicable to all years of Cads / LaS

Thanks
Fred
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Tom Hall 7485

I don't think those parts normally were left bare.  Sometimes the factory used a wash of black tar to keep the rust off of certain parts long enough to sell the car.  A mechanic rebuilt a '41 brake master cylinder for me and used the same treatment when he finished.  It remains tacky and collects dust.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Jim Beard

I usually put the whole brake system together, bleed it and get it working properly with the parts in bare metal form. Then I clean up all the cylinders and master with degreaser and hand paint them with a few good coats of black caliper paint. I have been doing it like this for years on my cars and they always look good, and if a little paint comes off just get the brush back out and touck it up. These parts start looking crummy in bare metal after a few years of rusting in my opinion.

Fred Pennington 25635

The authenticity manual shows these as bare metal. I have work with many older cars and these two items are usually bare when new.
My question goes to what is preferred by judges and enthusiasts who prefer the car correct,

Thanks
Fred
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Eastwood has a very good "cast iron metal gray" paint that duplicates the original
look and will inhibit rust.

In my opinion (as a judge) this is much preferred to rust, which developes on these
surfaces very fast.

Eastwood's web site is:  http://www.eastwood.com/?srccode=ga200220&gclid=CNGZkcehkqMCFSQ65Qod2zgaqw

That's what I use on my cars.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region