News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Anyone ever see this car?

Started by Derek J Sherwood, July 28, 2010, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek J Sherwood

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/aug/8/1976-cadillac-wears-a-coat-made-by-chrysler/?page=1

I wonder what it would look like, wish they had more pics than just the one of the hood ornament.

Davidinhartford

I saw the pics last year.   It wasn't that impressive.   It just looked like someone took a 76 Eldo conv to a paintshop and asked for a plum krazy repaint.   If I recall, it wasn't photographed well either.   You couldn't see the jambs or a photo of the body plate to see the S.O. color paint spec.

In every Cadillac optional specifications guide I've seen of that era, you could only get a previous model year color.  I really doubt Cadillac painted a car a non-Cadillac color.  Most likely the selling dealer sent a brand new car into their bodyshop for a repaint to satisfy a buyer.

The seller has not provided a build sheet, body plate photo or window sticker to prove authenticity.    But if it going to be at a Grand National, hopefully someone will debunk this car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJIYJ7TKrgE

Vince Taliano #13852

Yes.  That is owned by a CLC Potomac Region member.

Photo from Potomac Region Web site

Photo from Potomac Region Web site

Photo from Long Island Region Web site
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Davidinhartford

Vince, 

Have you seen this car in person?  What do you think?  Is it the real deal?

Vince Taliano #13852

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Doug Houston

Go back to the thirties ('way before this one), Cadillac would paint ANY color on the car you ordered, from the factory. I know of a 37-7029 that was painted a early thirties Lincoln blue. One of the '39-909 5 Pass. coupes (Dr. Brinkley) was painted Carnival Red;a non-Cadillac color. My '41 club coupe was painted a color that was shown in the color brochure, but was not an offered color, and a lot of Cadillacs and LaSalles after 1938 were done in Italian Cream; a '38 color.

But lately, in a '66 dealer fact bok, they said that you could have any color from the previous 5 or 6 years.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

David King (kz78hy)

I have followed that car for a few years.  It was listed on ebay 3 or 4 years ago and I think it has changed hands once or twice since.  When on ebay, I'm remembering it was like 2500 miles or so.  Later there was a thread on this car and a link to a newspaper that did a piece on it.  I saved the link and it is below and it is the same as the one that started this thread, though the photos were different when I used my link.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/09/before-matthew-smiths-sister-was-married-she-drove/

That is special order car with a Chrysler color.  Love it or hate it, it is special.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Greg Powers

The car was on display at the 2008 Grand National in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. There was a substantial amount of documentation with the car and it is authentic.  It is not my favorite choice of colors on an Eldorado, but it was obviously important enough to this original purchaser to pay for the special order Chrysler paint.  At least it is not the "Pepto Pink" that everyone swears is original on their 1950's Cadillac. (A color that Cadillac never placed on a factory original car.)
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Derek J Sherwood

Kinda neat looking, although as one poster mentioned, not as impressive as it sounds. 

Barry Norman

Would look better if the dash and carpet matched the paint !
Barry Norman

wrefakis

The car is without a doubt original,and as far as Pepto pink,in the 50's you could have ordered any paint you wanted,there  wre 2 59 Eldorado Biarritz done in non cadillac paint,icluding one in pearl white clear coat!

okccadman

Did either of those 2 specially painted 59 Eldorados survive?
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Davidinhartford

I'd still like to see a photo of the body plate or window sticker.   Newspaper articles are not "documentation".

Ted in Olympia WA

I met a guy that told me that in 1967 he ordered a Cadillac Coupe in primer so that he could have it custom painted.

It would be nice if you could order a car like you wanted it now.  Nowadays if you want an upgraded radio you have to buy $2,000 wheels or something.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Tom Hall 7485

Not that car specifically, but one like it. 

In the mid-1970s, Fields Cadillac in Evanston, Illinois ordered several dozen special order paint cars every year and put them all on sale at once, with a cocktail party to start the sale.  These special paints included Plum Crazy, which was on an Eldo convertible with white leather interior and black components, chromed wheels, knock-off spinners and grille cap. 

In the 1970s, Cadillac Division would still paint cars in any color for which there was an acrylic lacquer formula, irrespective of brand of car.  Fields Cadillac renamed some of the special colors.

I know that these were factory treatments because I worked there then.  The factory sent a quart or two of the special paint in the trunk in case of body damage.

A car delivered in primer I have not seen, but I suppose it's a possibility if the consumer wanted the car painted in enamel.  I don't think GM would paint a Cadillac in enamel at that time.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Otto Skorzeny

Cadillac wasn't alone in producing factory custom cars. Virtually any dealer could get special options deleted or added to any car if he checked the right boxes.

My mom bought a black '64 Galaxie fastback which was supposed to come with a red vinyl interior. She special ordered black leather instead which was not one of the options.

I just read in Motor Trend Classic (or was it Car and Driver?) about a one off '67 Ford Country Squire wagon ordered with bucket seats and a 428 engine among other things. The dealer was able to finagle the seats but jokingly said only Lee Iacocca could get the 428 engine installed. The customer wrote a tale of woe to Iacocca explaining that his wife insisted on the wagon but that he always bought performance cars, etc. Iacocca saw to it that the customer got what he wanted. He was/is a true car salesman.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE