News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Guests and Names

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), July 30, 2010, 10:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

Please be advised that anyone signing on as a Guest doesn't automatically allow them to view anything that they want to when it comes to personal information that is on your personal profile pages.

They are severely restricted in what they can do on the Message Board, and how far they can delve into.

Yes, they can look and post, but not much else.   They can't see who is online or use the Search function.

And lastly, It has never been stated that the full Christian Name has to be shown, just the Initial and Surname.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ted in Olympia WA

Since most everyone signs off with their first name it is the same as a "full Christian name"
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Derek J. Sherwood

False.  I was threatened with having my posts pulled as of 7/16/10 if I did not sign them "Derek Sherwood." 

Reference this email, regarding a post signed "Derek S."

Not trying to fight, but apparently the rules have changed since this all started.  I was fine signing without my surname, but then I was told it was required, then we were told full names were required.  Etc. Etc.

-----Original Message-----
Date: Monday, July 19, 2010 7:31:45 pm
To: <derekjsherwood@yahoo.com>
From: "Bruce and Bronwyn Reynolds" <bronline@internode.on.net>
Subject: Rules of posting on the CLC Message Board.

G'day Derek,

Just a quick message to remind you of the Rules of Posting that you accepted when you signed on to the CLC Message Board now being enforced.

"Rules for posting messages in the Message Forum

a.. All messages must be signed with your first and last name (EX: Henry Leland) or your first initial and last name (H. Leland). You may also specify a handle, but you must also supply your name as was just defined. NO EXCEPTIONS!"

I don't want to remove your latest posting, but you need to include your Surname.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Derek might have thought he was being threatened, but I didn't see it that way, as his immediate reply to my email was:

Bruce,
No prob can you leave it up and I will use surname in future postings?  Just got back from ..............and did not see the rule changes until I had already posted and couldnt edit.

Thanks
Derek

One of the problems with signing on as a guest, one cannot edit anything they post.

Now, everyone who isn't complying with the "Rules of Posting" receives the following email:

G'day Steve,

Just a quick message to remind you of the Rules of Posting that you accepted when you signed on to the CLC Message Board:

"Rules for posting messages in the Message Forum:

All messages must be signed with your first and last name (EX: Henry Leland) or your first initial and last name (H. Leland). You may also specify a handle, but you must also supply your name as was just defined. NO EXCEPTIONS!"

Posts that do not meet this requirement will be removed and will not be available for reinstatement.”

You may also specify a handle, but you must also supply your name as was just defined. NO EXCEPTIONS!

I don't want to remove your latest posting, but you need to include your first name or initial and last name now.  The best way to do it without having to remember to do it when signing off is to simply update your Member Profile to automatically include this information each time you post.

Plus, if you are a CLC Member, then you need to also include your CLC Membership Number.   For information on how to set up/update your forum signature please see:   http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/profilehelp.shtml

Thanks for your understanding,

Bruce Reynolds
CLC # 18992,
Forum Administrator

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Lou,

No, the rule hasn't changed, and therefore I must humbly apologise to everyone on this Message Board, be it guests who are CLC Members, and to those CLC Members to my indiscretions in insisting that their CLC Member be displayed for everyone to see.

In future, all messages that I send out will convey the amended to include:

Plus, if you are a CLC Member, then it would be nice to also include your CLC Membership Number, so other readers will know which writers are CLC members.   For information on how to set up/update your forum signature please see:   http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/profilehelp.shtml

Bruce Reynolds,
CLC # 18992
Forum Moderator.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Derek Sherwood

Didn't feel threatened, just felt weird when I came back and there were dozens of posts with handles, etc., and mine seemed to have been singled out.

Plus as you mention, there was no way to edit a Guest post.

So I felt like, what can I do?  I'm basically being told my post will be deleted, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Mix in all the emotions of being in the hospital waiting on a new baby and etc., and it just felt kind of like "Why would he pick my post, which was intended to be helpful, and comply with the old regulations" when so many others were in violation and were left up.

Derek

The Tassie Devil(le)

David,

You weren't the only one to receive the message, and we gave people time to comply.

And the matter of compliance has been in the vicinity of 99% of those contacted.

As you are now aware, we are only ensuring that the matter of compliance is being upheld, within the Rules of Posting.

The CLC is paying for the Website, and it is part of the CLC Membership Dues that are being used, which means that non Members that can benefit from using this site can number in the Millions for nothing.   And believe me, the Spammers are trying extremely hard to enter our site.

Registering is a way of actively partaking in the Pastime that we love, and joining the CLC actively supports this valuable site..

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Greg Powers

I must say that I appreciate those individuals like Bruce that give of their personal time to this club without any compensation. I have read several disparaging remarks as of late regarding many of our board members and fuctions of the club.  The Cadillac and LaSalle Club exists for a stated purpose (you might want to reread it) and rules are established to best serve the purpose of the club and its members.  As has been stated time and time again, things in life are rarely free.  Our membership pays for this website and maintains it, any one else is a guest and as a guest should abide by the rules set forth by the club.  If you want to see something changed, get involved and volunteer your time and energy to help make a change. ( My two cents worth. )
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Fred Zwicker #23106

I believe that our Administrators serve on a voluntary basis (without pay).  While not all of the club members agree with their enforcement of forum rules and policies, nevertheless we must respect them for their efforts.   I would not want their job.  Fortunately, most who disagree with some forum rules have been polite in their response, which is the way it should be.  And a special thanks to Bruce Reynolds who seems to be handling this matter promptly, properly and with good manners.

As for his kind suggestion ("it would be nice") for members to post their CLC Member #, I want to mention my thoughts on this matter:
While I am always willing to help others with technical advice on this forum, if the question is coming from a CLC Member, I generally respond quicker and with more detail - (often posting pictures) in an attempt to clarify certain requests. In some cases I will answer in even greater detail by separate email (to club members who have provided this information).  

My full name and CLC# have always been posted on this site and I would like to feel that by doing so, I have received more help and advice over the past few years than if I had not posted my name and club number. I have also met many new friends along the way who later helped me outside of this forum by mail, phone, email, etc.  

Also by all of us posting our CLC Club Member #, we are showing others the strength of our membership, and indirectly this may help others to eventually join our club.

Food for thought.

Fred

1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks Greg and Fred, and others that have made us blush,

Maybe we should ask for a pay rise, but that would be defeating the purpose of this wonderful Club of ours.

Bruce. >:D (and Bill)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

quadfins

Thank you, Fred and Greg, for your summaries.

I agree with you, and will add that your posts are far more productive than the "If you don't accomodate my demands, I'll stop posting here in order to punish you" attitudes.

"Fighting the Man" on this forum certainly does not equate to the Civil Rights Movement, as some seem to believe.

The threat to flood the forum with false-named messages was childish, and the only ones who would have sufferered were the moderators, who are club members like the rest of us, and volunteer their time to help us communicate.

Thanks, too, Bruce and others. You have a great deal of patience and dedication.

Jim Eccleston
CLC 16079
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Derek Sherwood

Just for those of you who don't know:  The only reason this was threatened was because mods would delete any posts which brought up disagreements.  That, and the double standard of allowing some individuals with handles to use them and not others. 

What other choice do you have when your attempts at engaging in a discourse are deleted or ridiculed?

quadfins

"What other choice do you have when your attempts at engaging in a discourse are deleted or ridiculed? "

We used to call it "Going through channels".
It may take time and patience, but it is more effective than stomping one's foot, and taking your ball and going home.

And strange as it may seem, I've been signing my full name on this and other forums for some time, and I have not yet seen a sudden flood of spams. Maybe my spamblocker is working.

Jim Eccleston
CLC 16079

Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Derek J Sherwood

Suggest some channels and I will try to go through them.

I spoke with Barry Wheeler, for example.  Still waiting to see what result that does.

quadfins

The key to success is to convince, not demand.

Contact board members, develop a majority opinion, board votes to change policy.

Voila' - even sounds like democracy-in-action.

One board member alone is not a dictator, who can change policy with the wiff of a swagger-stick.

Maybe even get on the board onesself, and determine policy.

As I tell my government students, if you don't like a rule, act through channels to change it. But in the meantime, you don't have the justification to violate it. Even if others get away with it, that does not put you in the right. Can the police catch all speeders? If they can't catch them all, are we all then justified in violating the speed limit?

But in a system of majority rule, one must have a majority, which can be time consuming to develop. It's so easy to sit on the sidelines and grumble about the system, but the argument is hollow if one is unwilling to actually get involved to affect changes that one believes in.

Democracy is a terrible form of government - but consider the alternatives.
                                                   Winston Churchill

Jim Eccleston
CLC 16079
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

quadfins

So get involved yourself. Write letters, make phone calls, ask additional board members. If enough (majority) are not happy with the decision, or the way the decision was made, then it may be redressed. Isn't that what petitions are for? Isn't that why we have a board? This is the same basis of government as a Republic. But griping on a forum, which board members may or may not read, is ineffective. It is also NOT the proper procedure for governance. Also, don't expect instant results. As the saying goes, the wheels of justice turn slowly. Silly threats to quit the club if one does not get action within 24 hours...Oh, come on. Does this issue require calling a Special Session of the CLC Board of Directors?

As a last resort, make the commitment to get elected to the board, or be the President yourself. I don't recall that it is a paid position, and yet all the flak is aimed there. I have been there, the focal point of everybody's petty gripes and demands. It seems to me that we should be thanking those who volunteer their time, rather than accusing them of usurping dictatorial powers. The president of the club has the backing of more members than you or I, as individuals. He, and the Board, have devoted more time and effort than we. I agree, maybe he can come out with a statement. Has anybody asked, directly? And if so, what, then, if one personally does not agree with the statement? Does that give license to ignore the rule anyway? Bank robbers don't like the rule prohibiting bank robbery, so is it OK for them to do as they please? Is this issue as important?

Why can't the board help? What, then, is their purpose? But first they should be made aware of the dissatisfaction. Have they been contacted? How many read this forum? How many have been contacted personally? How many can drop what they are doing to address this issue RIGHT NOW? How quickly can we reasonably expect results? This is a club, not a legislative body.

"The most interesting part of this is, why was this not addressed in front of the board members at the board meeting on that very same day."

Find out why. 80% of all criticism is based on false or inaccurate information.

I will repeat, Convince, don't demand.
And if one feels aggrieved because other posts are not being deleted, then volunteer as a moderator and start to help enforcing the rule, until the rule can be changed.

Jim Eccleston
CLC 16079
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

EAM12345

SOUTHPAW!  If it is true that it was only one person (Pres) that made this rule change then that is wrong and the whole board along with we members should also be involved. I don't like the idea of my surname being broadcasted all over the world with just the first letter of your first name. I don't know what kind of nuts there are down and around Australiia, especially if your live near the wilderness, but around here forget it with all these illegal elements no way do I want my surname plastered all over this forum. I suggest just your full initials and your CLC  membership number should be more than adequate for members, forget this surname nonsense.  EAM 17806.

quadfins

Has it come to this? Name calling and invective? "Nuts who live in the wilderness of Australia"?

Is this what we mean by "No disparaging remarks"?

And I thought that this club was all about Cadillacs.

And I thought that members who volunteer their time deserved better than this.

"If it is true?"

And we don't even know for sure what we are complaining about.

Jim Eccleston
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

EAM12345

When I referred to nuts living in Australia it was not meant for the very decent people like Bruce.  Why even imply that. Bruce is a very honorable person and we all respect him for what he does for our club. Thanks Bruce!  EAM17806

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha, you don't know me then.   Heck, everyone says I am nuts. ;D

PS.   But, I know what you mean.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe