News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where are all the 55-57 Cadillacs ?

Started by Bob Kielar, August 02, 2010, 04:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kielar

I have gone to at least six car show swap meets in southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois and not one 55-57 Cadillac as a matter of fact I have seen only three total a 49 that had a chevy drive train a  63 and a 67. Where are they  ???
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Unfortunately, the local shows seem to appreciate just the muscle cars, corvettes and the
rodded up trucks, Pony cars and other such vehicles.

The crowds there don't really go for the Cadillacs.  If you want to see the really nice
ones, you have to attend the Grand Nationals in our club -- or the AACA Nationals.
There you will see the "cream of the crop" -- the high Dollar restorations.

People owning such cars go through quite a bit of time, expense and effort to restore
these cars, especially the Eldorado's of the 50's.  However, at your average local show
you will lose to a Mopar, '57 Chevy or similiar vehicle every time.

I used to attend some local shows here in Pittsburgh, but I just don't bother
anymore  for just that reason.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

kelly

Ditto what Mike said. The last time I displayed my car at a show, was the Pro. Car Society Intrnl. meet in Flint, MI.  That was August, 2009. And that was at the request of a friend of mine who is a member of that club.  I did drive it in the Back to the Bricks Cruise that same weekend.
Kelly
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

Bob Kielar

Yes I did miss that show. When in May was it is there another and what would be the date? Thanks
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

David King (kz78hy)

I took the 58 Brougham to Baker's yesterday which has grown to a very nice weekly Sunday meet.  My car gets lot's of attention, even as ratty as it looks.  It does not win awards, but I get more inquires than the 60's muscle car next to me.

There is a chance I recruited 2 people to check out the local CLC meeting this coming Thursday, fingers crossed.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Bob:

I would agree with you that 55-57 Cadillacs are rarely seen at local shows.  And I generally agree with Mike Josephic that Cadillacs in general are pretty rare at local shows.  That being said, I just attended a local show here in La Porte, Indiana (northwest Indiana) on Saturday where there was a beautiful 58 Biarritz, a 59 Sedan De Ville, a 61 Series 62, a 66 convertible, a 70, and a 74 Eldo convertible.  I will be attending a concourse show in St. Joseph, Michigan on Saturday.  There is usually a Cadillac or two as a part of this show.  I usually see a CLC member or two from the Detroit area, so I know that people travel some distance to attend the show.

In the Indiana Region we have several 55-57 cars, but they are not always at all of our events.  If you want more information, please feel free to contact me.

You may also wish to contact the West of the Lake (Chicago) region.  Fred Butalla III, is the Director, and he can be contacted at:  (815) 730-6044, Email: flbutalla@sbcglobal.net.

And last, but certainly not least, is the Gilmore show on Sunday, September 5th.  The Gilmore event is a must see event.  The Gilmore Museum is located about a three hour drive east of downtown Chicago so it is probably within driving distance if you are located is south eastern Wisconsin.  However, be for warned that traveling westward through northwest Indiana on I94 on a Sunday afternoon during the summer can be a bit “challenging”.   Take the toll road back to Chicago.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Folks:

Please note that registration for the Gilmore event is now closed.

Mike Josephic
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bill Podany #19567

Bob,

Mike Josephic, in my opinion, has nailed the reality relative to your interest in 55-57 Cadillac's; I underscore his point of view as the real reason these cars are not regularly presented at local and regional car events.

I know there exist some local exceptions to why one sees few 55-57 Cadillac's on the local and regional car event cycle, and they should be honored and hopefully attended by Cadillac enthusiasts.  As an owner of a 55 Eldorado (like Mike josephic), that has been awarded first prize status within the AAC and CLC organizations,  I can assure you that the owners and collectors of these limited production automobiles are reluctant to take the time, expense, and extreme effort to transport and present their chariots for an audience that perhaps may have other car interests.  I think it is all about personal choice, and audiences' preferences. 

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
Knoxville, TN   
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado