News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78 Eldo Crown molding

Started by Dennis Piety #24700, August 04, 2010, 08:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Piety #24700

Have a new vynal top installed on my 78 Eldo Coupe.  It is not a baritz.  The shop that did the work cannot get the crown molding back on the car.  They have given up.  I had purchased all new plastic clips for them.  Any ideas on how to complete this project.  Each time they attempted to put the chrome molding on, the plastic clips  pop off of the metal studs.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Bryan Thompson

Good morning,
The plastic clips should have s round hole and a slot.  Once the round hole is placed over the rivet, they should slide into a smaller slot.  If they are doing it this way and they are popping of, then the wrong size plastic clips are being used.  I had all the chrome off my 74 Eldo Convert for painting, The side clips are a different size than the hood clips.
Hope this helps.
I would rather push an old Cadillac, than drive a new anything:-)

RobW

Assuming you have the correct clips, be sure you are mounting the clips onto the metal studs correctly. As mentioned above, there are two different sized parts of the clip hole. Use the wide opening to fit over the stud and gently tap the clip into place so that the stud locks into the smaller hole. These moldings are installed by sliding them across the roof towards the center and then slapping them onto the clips on the side of the roof. They do not "slap" onto the clips across the top of the roof. Now and this might be where you're having the problem, be sure that your clips are mounted in the right direction! That is be sure that when you are sliding the molding over the clips you are not focring the clip back to the wider opening of the clip. You should be pushing the clip toward the narrow area so it can't pop off.
Problem with vinyl tops today are that younger guys in trim shops are not that familiar with them.
Rob Wirsing

Dennis Piety

Thanks fellows for the ideas and suggestions.  Today my wife and I completed the installation of both the crown molding and the belt molding.  We glued the crown molding clips to keep them in place.  Yes, we had them on correctly however they would pop off about the time we got the molding slid to the center.  As a note to others,  we have determined that the big problem was that the trim shop installed the new top OVER the old vynal.  As a result this puts more thickness under the clips.  Will not be using this trim shop in the future.  The top does look good after all is said and done.