News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Northstar engine 1994 Seville

Started by DaveW, August 11, 2010, 04:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveW

I have a good friend in need of a Northstar engine for his 1994 Seville.  I have posted a Wanted ad in the Buy/Sell forum.  One alternative is to rebuild the engine currently in the car.  We think it has a broken timing chain.  He has been told that these engines often suffer from additional damage when the timing chain breaks due to the design.  Can anyone verify whether or not this is true?

Are there any areas we should pay particular attention to if we decide on a rebuild or locate a used engine that are particular to the Northstar?

Thanks,
Dave

David Whittaker
CLC #20768

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1958 Cadillac Series 70 Fleetwood Eldorado Brougham
1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Dave Shepherd

You could bend valves if the chain let go which is very unusual to begin with, an accurate diagnosis of the problem is called for here.  You are taking a chance with any used engine for that car, early N'stars were some what problematic.

TJ Hopland

I have never heard of it.  Chains are usually a life of the engine item.  They can get stretched and cause minor timing issues but actually breaking I would think is very rare.    Has this engine got over 200K on it?  If it did break I could see the possibility of other damage.   Most performance engines the valves are so close to the pistons that if they are not in time they hit.  Its been a while since I researched it but I think you need to stay with a 97 or earlier engine. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

DaveW

Dave and TJ,

Thank you for your replies.  I just talked to my friend to clarify the symptoms.  The car has about 150,000 miles on it.  He was cruising along at a relatively low speed, probably around 35 or 40 mph, when the engine quit on him.  The engine would not re-start and the car was towed to his driveway.  A mechanic friend of his came over and looked at the car as a favor.  He apparently looked through some opening in the motor (?) and made the broken timing chain diagnosis.  He also apparently tried to turn the engine over by hand, and it would not turn over.  If anyone knows  of someone in the Detroit area they have had good experiences with in rebuilding a Northstar I would appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks,
Dave
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

TJ Hopland

I just talked to one of my mechanic friends and he said he as seen chains fail on those.  He said its from a problem with the tensioner(s).  Something fails in the tensioner which then cuts and wears into the back of the chain causing it to fail.   He also confirmed that pistons would hit valves.  His opinion is that that engine is junk.  Even 10 years ago when these were just out of warranty they were not usually repairing them.   The cost to replace the valves and bearings is just too much when all the labor is added in.  He said what they did then was found a used engine and went through it before installing it.   He said they usually did not need that many hard parts or machine work, just gaskets, thread inserts, and a good cleaning (like carbon out of the ring grooves).  He said they are a lot of work but once you do all that to them they will run another 100K with no issues.   He did not remember the details but he does think there were some 1 year only engines in that period.  He thinks some were external issues that could be swapped with yours but he also remembers some things that were just not compatible. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Promar Precision engines rebuilds Northstars.  According to their site they have N* engines on sale at $3299, down from their usual $3599 price.

http://www.promarengine.com/

http://www.promarengine.com/searchresults.asp?SelCat=++Engines:+General+Motors&txtType=Rebuilt%20Engines&txtPart=CA4.6

You might contact them.  As a general rule from what I read on the internet N*s are considered throw-away engines more often than not.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

Wow, what a bargain!

I paid $1188 for a Ford 302 Crate Engine from a dealer and thought that was high. I guess not.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

The Tassie Devil(le)

I suppose there is a bit more in a Cadillac Northstar engine than a Ford 302. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

DaveW

Thanks to everyone for your help.  We will take the car to the same shop that has helped me with the restoration of my cars.  They plan to take a look at the Seville to hopefully determine just how bad it is.  If we are lucky they will find that the problem is something simple.

Dave
David Whittaker
CLC #20768

David King (kz78hy)

Dave,

You have your buddy check out Jasper Engines.  They offer rebuilt engines and transmissions.  Maybe another thing to explore before making a decision on which way to go.

David

Hope to see you next week, Wed. and Fri. for the Dream Cruise events.  Brougham is running.  What are you bringing?
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

DaveW

David,

Thanks for the tip on Jasper Engines.  I will pass it along.  I plan to be at the Wednesday event for sure.  I will have to bring the '57 or the '77 as the Brougham is still a work in progress.  I look forward to seeing you there.

Got the A/C system back from rebuild and it is ready for installation, at which point we will start the engine for the first time.

I did not have a Friday event on my radar.  I will have to check the last email sent out by the club for details.  If it is something that is not to far away I will probably attend.

Dave
David Whittaker
CLC #20768