News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 cadillac

Started by Don Berg 20417, August 10, 2010, 07:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Berg 20417

I need help on the front head light bulbs is there three knobs on the front side or should it be smooth all over? I have seen it both ways, my other problem is my gas gauge dose not work , it will not move at all.  Thanks  Don

Otto Skorzeny

Are you talking about the aiming studs? Early sealed beam headlights didn't have them.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Classic

I assume you are talking about the aiming nipples or lugs or studs on the outside of the lens.  And no, they didn't come out until the late 1950's so are not correct for your car.  I believe you can still buy nipple-less round sealed beams from some old car hobby suppliers.  Someone else can probably name some sources.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Jeff Maltby 4194

I have 2 sets of the good/used/smooth face Guide steel back 6V lamps here. I paid $100 for an nos pair 4 years ago.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

r thomas

Has anyone tried grinding the aiming nipples off?  Just wondering.....

mgrab

I would not do that.....
I believe the glass used is borosilicate....even if you get the glass to look halfway decent it will cost you more time and money than its worth.  Very few polishing products on the market that will smooth the glass to the point that its presentable.  Then there is the other issue breakage: even if you don't break it trying to grind them off by overheating the glass you may leave some residual stress in the glass they might break for instance if you were driving at night in the rain (I know small chance).  Not worth the effort....I see glass getting polished all the time....not fun, fast or always accompanied with a positive outcome.
Mike
1941 Cadillac 6267D
1948 Packard Custom Eight Victoria
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan