News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

need dimension for sidemount retaining bushing, 36 6019

Started by william_b_noble, August 11, 2010, 01:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

william_b_noble

my 36 series 60 has dual sidemounts - there is a vertical chromed post in each fender well.  A cast iron part slides over that and you screw the sidemount to it.  There is a ring that slides over the post and goes in the middle of the cast iron part - this keeps it from falling down too far or coming off - then there is a handle that is screwed down on top of the casting to keep the whole thing from rattling.

Well, a few decades ago when I took the car apart, I put these bushings aside, and now I can't find them - my intent was (and is) to make new ones out of stainless, and polish them up nicely.  I can of course obtain the ID by just measuring my post and adding a thousandth or so for clearance, but I'd like the OD and the width (thickness? length?) to be the same as the originals that I can't find any more - can someone please measure there part for me?   and if I could prevail on you even more, is the set screw a flat slotted screw (as opposed to an allen).

I can make a few more of these if there is a need, once I have dimensions.

thanks
Bill N - clc # 2371

william_b_noble

since no one answered, i thought I would tell you the dimensions I made the retaining bushings to  in case any one else wants to make some - I can make more out of stainless or regular if you contact me

thickness - .75, ID, .845, OD 1.45, set screw 3/8-16
Bill N - clc # 2371

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day William,

Congratulations on successfully ending up making your own.

One of the problems when seeking out "odd" information is that not many people have what one wants.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

william_b_noble

you know ... it might be a really good idea to start collecting this kind of information in a searchable database - I suppose I'd organize it by part number since we already have manuals to get us from a car to a part number - the database could have photos, dimensions, material identification, paint identification, etc.  This way, as these cars become rarer, there will be a way to find the info (if anyone has put it in the database)

The only issue I had making it was that the particular stainless 'mystery alloy' that I used to make it surface hardened quickly and so I had to ultimately drill with carbide, even my cobalt drills wouldn't make it all the way through.  

For those who care, the hole in the sidemount bracket (the casting) is .875, the diameter of the rod that it (and this collar) ride on is .845, so the bracket is quite loose on the rod.

Now, to find one more sidemount  wheel bolt, see below
Bill N - clc # 2371