News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

brands of tune up parts?

Started by David Greenburg, August 12, 2010, 02:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

My '59 60S quit on me rather abruptly last weekend after driving about a mile, after which it would not start.  At first I thought sticky choke, but that was not the problem.   Investigation revealed that the condenser lead had separated from the condenser; it looked ok, but when I tried to remove the points and condenser for inspection, the lead just came right out of the condenser.  I replaced it with an old condenser from the parts box, and now it runs like a champ.  I have been using "Blue Streak" tune up parts, which were recommended a while back by an old timer, but I'm wondering if there are better quality parts out there that might help me avoid inconveniences like this in the future.  Any recomendations?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Otto Skorzeny

I've found Blue Streak / Standard Parts to be of better quality than most or all of the parts available today. Even some GM points aren't as good in myopinion.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

TJ Hopland

I have had trouble finding blue streak locally.   Summit Racing lists most of it still so that is where I plan to try and get it next time.   They have always been good quality, even if they are not as good as they used to be I suspect they still could be the best out there. About 90% of the points related parts I have bought the last few years has been garbage, even the 'premium' brands.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Blue Streak/Standard are among the best.  Nothing is immune to failure.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David Greenburg

OK; I suppose my condenser was a Monday morning lemon.  I must say I've never had any other problems with the Blue Streak parts; tune ups on this car are usually due to the time that has passed rather than anything actually wearing out.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

william_b_noble

I have a Delta CD ignition hidden under the fender on my 59 (the car in my avatar at left) - it makes the points last virtually forever and it starts better and is more tolerant of bad plugs, etc - I used to find these cheaply everywhere, but I haven't seen one for quite a while - there is an article on how to make your own on my web page should you feel inclined and have some modest electronic skills  (see www.wbnoble.com and look for "articles I wrote")
Bill N - clc # 2371