News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hearing noise after fresh engine start-up

Started by Charlie Petty, August 13, 2010, 10:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Petty

Well, engine is not totally fresh; valve job done, honed and re-ringed.  Shop told me new parts were not needed for the heads, as everything was in good shape with low wear.  

I am hearing a metallic noise that sounds like it is in the valve train on the right side of engine.  

While setting the timing, the noise got better as I advanced timing toward 5 deg. BTDC.  In other words, the more retarded the timing, the worse the noise.  

I don't hear it if I bring the engine speed up gradually, but do hear it if I blip the throttle, and I hear it while driving under mild acceleration.  

I am hoping it is an exhaust leak, which can sound very metallic.  If not, what are likely culprits based on the sypmtoms?  

Thanks much in advance

TJ Hopland

What year engine?  If its not hydraulic lifters you may need to recheck the valve adjustment.

An exhaust leak will usually change as things heat up.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Roger Zimmermann

I may have had the same. The center gasket on the RH exhaust manifold was installed upside down on my car (they are not symetrical) and I had a terrific noise, especially when driving along a wall. A new gasket, positionned correctly, did wonder.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Charlie Petty

It is a '56.

I did not keep track of the lifters and rocker shafts, so they are all mixed up from original-could that cause it? 

I replaced a few pushrods- I wonder one is in upside down? 

I'll check into the exhaust gasket.  Thanks for the help so far. 

Roger Zimmermann

It's no good to mix such parts. The result is not noise, but quicker wear. If you have an upside down push rod, I don't know if it can generate noise, but it's not good either!

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Otto Skorzeny

Lifters should never ever be moved from their original positions and yes that could be the source of your noise.
fward

Charlie Petty

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann #21015 on August 14, 2010, 10:01:06 AM
I may have had the same. The center gasket on the RH exhaust manifold was installed upside down on my car (they are not symetrical) and I had a terrific noise, especially when driving along a wall. A new gasket, positionned correctly, did wonder.

Roger- You are exactly right.  That was the problem.  Thanks! 

Otto Skorzeny

Excellent! It's great when a problem is easily fixed and not serious.
fward

Roger Zimmermann

Roger- You are exactly right.  That was the problem.  Thanks!
You are welcome! Fortunately, sometimes the errors from ourselves can help to solve the problem for others!

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101