News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Electric bugs on 80 Eldo diesel

Started by TJ Hopland, August 14, 2010, 05:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I just picked up a 80 Diesel Eldo today.   Got several bugs to chase down.   Going to get on ebay and get myself all the factory service manuals but that will take time and I want to play with my new toy now.   I have owned several 4100 cars and never had any trouble with them so I figure I would try my luck with the only engine people hate more :)   

First issue is I got no 'water in fuel'  or 'wait' lights on the dash.   Before I rip the dash apart to check for burnt out bulbs was wondering if there was anything I should check first?   I seem to recall on the trucks that stuff had its own fuse but the owners manual does not mention that stuff on the fuse diagram.   Glow plugs must be working because the thing starts right up at least as fast as a gas engine and I dont think it would do that without the plugs. 

Second is the trunk pull down is not working.   Open to hear any tips on where to start there. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Well between rain showers and lightning I got some time to mess around.    At one point I had the control side of the glow plug solenoid unhooked and after I hooked it back up both lights work.   For now I am assuming they somehow both grounded at the solenoid?

As for the trunk.   Got the assembly out and apart.   Found that the motor works, just needed the front bushing pushed back in and some lube.   The main housing has a few cracks but is alright and clean now as is the gear.  Got the pull down screw all clean so that all seems to work.  Problem seems to be that the switch assy got wet and burned up.   Took it apart but there are copper buses melted and distorted plastic plus the are not designed to come apart.  Will have to look for a new or used one.  Anyone know if anyone sells that?  Is/was it a separate part from the assembly?   At least now I was able to run it down to a point where I can latch the trunk and its almost sealed. 

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Otto Skorzeny

Try New GM Parts.

Contact info in link below.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE