News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

turn signal

Started by roger sumpter, August 14, 2010, 06:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger sumpter

this morning after starting the car up i put the left turn signal on and the blinker on top of the fender and the left front cornering light did not come on. went to the righ side and both worked. funny how both went out on left side at same time. checked back and front bumper on left side an left turn signals were working just the cornering light on fender and blinker on top of fender would not work. any one have any ideas what to check. the car is a 1968 cadillac fleetwood broughm..

TJ Hopland

Assuming they are the same fiber optics as the 70's cars....  the fiber optic cables are connected to the back of in this case the turn signal reflector(s).  The connection was a rubber boot sort of thing.  Guessing at this age they are pretty brittle.   Perhaps you hit a bump that jarred things hard enough that they both happened to break at the same time?   Also look to be sure the both ends of the little rod it connects to in the reflector is clean.  I have used electrical shrink tubing to repair these in the past.  I tried vacuum hose but the rod and fiber were different diameters so it would never hold. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chris Conklin

Not sure if I follow completely what does and doesn't work, but the cornering lights should only work when your lights are on. I believe TJ has it right for the fender lights and the problem being the contact at the connectors. On my '66 the connectors are locking plugs, usually just some cleaning and reconnecting works. The fender lights are probably the easiest to lights to remove and check. The cornering lights are probably the hardest. But I'd start with checking the bulbs and go from there.
Chris Conklin

roger sumpter

problem fixed. i took out the blinker light on top of the fender and cleaned  the ground and it started blinking steady. took off the splash apron to get to the cornering light and got a pair of channel locks put it around the cornering light socket and give it a little turn and the cornering light lit up. now if i can figure out why my bright lights work some times when pushing on the floor mounted dimmer switch on some times i can press down on it 20 times and the brights come on and some times i can press on it one time and get no bright lights. that has me puzzled.

TJ Hopland

Hmmm   For some reason I was thinking he was asking about the monitor lights on the fenders.  I dont know how I missed 'cornering'. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason