News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1992 cadillac loses power when you hit the gas, fuel pump???????

Started by T.E. Lack, August 15, 2010, 12:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.E. Lack

I got a 92 caddy deville with 4.9 v8. when I was driving yesterday it started to lose power when I push on the gas pedal.  It starts and idles fine and and goes ok at idle speed but as soon as you step down on the gas pedal it doesnt want to go.  ITs like theres now power when u hit the gas.  My suspicion is that its the fuel pump because it seems like its not giving it any gas or it is losing fuel pressure when you hit the gas pedal.  What do you guys think?

Otto Skorzeny

Does it do the same thing sitting in the driveway when you hit the gas or does it  only conk out when you hit the gas while driving?

Don't assume the fuel pump is bad. There are so many computer modules and sensors associated with fuel delivery it will take a more thorough diagnosis to arrive at the correct explanation for the trouble.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

T.E. Lack

I reved it up in park a little and it stumbled a little bit but not nearly as bad as when u are driving.

Dave Shepherd

You cannot get away with guess work on these cars, start by checking fuel pressure. Post back the results. This advice assumes you are not just feeling a bad engine miss no way to tell from here.

TJ Hopland

Any check engine light? Does it work?

One thing that has happened to me that gave the same symptoms on a 4100 was the distributor came loose and worked itself out of time.  Just grab the top of the cap and see if you can turn it either direction. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

T.E. Lack

Got an update.  Fuel pressure is good.  No codes are coming up and now it runs and drives fine.  When it was acting up it was 90 degrees and I was stuck in traffic for over an hour creeping along at 5 mph.  This is the hottest the car has ever got since I've owned it.  I'm thinking that the heat triggered it and after it cooled off it was fine.  It could still be the pump but also maybe a sensor?  What do you think?

Otto Skorzeny

I've never heard of vapor lock on a fuel injected engine but who knows what's going on with this corn juice they're putting in the pumps these days.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE