News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I need a book...

Started by Rick Biarritz, August 15, 2010, 12:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

I need an OLD car repair book.  Desperately.  I’m tired of bumbling around and learning at a VERY slow pace, so I need a book.  Real bad.  I would take classes if I could, but out here in the boonies there are simply none, except a real good one for high school kids.  Nobody seems to be able to recommend a good book to me; they all seem to have learned in shop class, or with Pops, etc.  I’m looking at “Troubleshooting Old Cars” by Ron Bishop, but that’s about the only one I can find.  The main problem is there are actually LOTS of books, but I am interested in 1970 technology, period.  I do not want to learn about computers or electronic sensors or any of the modern stuff.  In the words of Austin Powers, “That’s not my bag, baby.”  Any suggestions would be VERY welcome.  

Richard Ould

How's this book from 1969?
http://www.amazon.com/Stockel-Auto-Mechanics-Fundamentals-1969/dp/B000OWWZWK/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281890109&sr=1-2

Philippe M. Ruel

Blanchard's "Auto engines and electrical systems", edited by Motor, is a great, classical book, edited and re-edited through the 60s and 70s.

It is easily and cheaply found in used condition on eBay, Amazon, etc.
1952 60 Special in France.

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Rick,

My mom happened across a book at a charity book sale once and found what turned out to be the most useful book in my technical library. She bought it for $1.00.

It's called Automobile Guide published by Audel.

Audel is a publisher that specializes (specialized?) in technical guides and manuals for virtually any topic - construction, auto repair, small engine, plumbing, etc. They're almost always bright orange with a black band across the cover on which the title is printed.

This book is the fourth printing in 1968. It is perfect for all postwar cars up to around 1980 or so. Obviously some things are useful beyond that date. It covers the early electronics like solid state ignition and transistors, etc. This book has over 700 pages - it's quite comprehensive.

Here is a search on Amazon that turned up a few copies of the 1966 edition for less than $5.00 each. If you can't find a later edition, buy one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=audel+automobile+guide&x=16&y=16&ih=15_4_2_0_0_0_1_0_0_1.117_163&fsc=-1
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's another great 1970 book.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

35-709

Rick, since I do not know or remember that you have a Cadillac Shop Manual for your car I have to strongly recommend that you get one ALONG with the general repair book you are looking for.  A good repair book will help you in diagnosing problems and how to fix things in general but the factory shop manual will tell you how to do the repair work for YOUR car.  That is an important distinction since many repair books are slanted more toward the high volume cars like Chevy, Ford, & Plymouth and there often IS a difference once you get past the basics.   
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

Geoff,

I'd be willing to bet he needs this book to do general diagnostic work on his '69 Chrysler since he's not worried about electronics.
fward

35-709

:D  Oh!  In that case, Rick, you need a 1969 Chrysler Shop Manual!  Just as easy to get on eBay Motors, I would suspect, as a Cadillac one.
Geoff N.

You might also enjoy the WPC Club (Walter P. Chrysler)  http://www.chryslerclub.org/

Here's another one but it is mostly for newer Chrysler or Daimler Chrylser products ----  http://www.mychryslersucks.com/   ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Maltby 4194

DELETE :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

I suggest the following:

1. As said by others, the shop manual for your car;

2. The edition of Motor's or Chilton's Auto Repair Manual that covers your car.  (I've owned a 1955 Motor's edition since '55 from which I've learned lots about all US cars of the '40s and '50s.  I also have a '52 edition I'd be willing to sell.);

3. How To Maintain and Enjoy Your Collector Car by Josh Malks, Motorbooks International Publishers, 1993 is an excellent general work.

All of these are usually for sale on eBay and also amazon.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Rick Biarritz

Thanks to all.  With your help, I have ordered three books and am looking forward to them.  I already have the shop manual, but that's not geared to a novice.