News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

This is a first for me, First and Last name used in spam

Started by Ted in Olympia WA, August 05, 2010, 01:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted in Olympia WA

Today I got my first junk email that uses my first and last name.  A couple of weeks ago I added my last name to the bottom of my posts and now I get spam like this.  This can't be just a coincidence.  I'm gong to remove the last name and if you want to remove all my posts you can.

"Hi Ted,

You're probably busy, but are you
the Ted Dunlap who has been
searching for a new way to earn
money, and work less?

If that's not you, sorry to have
bothered you...

But Ted, we have this new
product and system that is so simple
and easy.

We reserved a tour for you here:

Removed link
===================================
Tom bringns in over $12,500 per week
Ruth is doing over $21,000 per week
===================================

If you're a big thinker, and can
see yourself raking in that kind
of money, then hurry and see
what we have for you here.

Removed link

If you are not interested go to the

very bottom of this email and opt

yourself out of any further emails.

Regards,

Judy"

Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

Glen

I know that the CLC web site is harvested for email addresses on a regular basis.  Any email address I put on the technician list is soon hit with spam.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Derek Sherwood

I made the mistake of posting without putting NOSPAM in my email address once, and was deluged.

This is the only board that I post on that requires an Email address field which is not kept private, so I know this board was the problem.

I talked to Barry Wheeler on the phone a few nights ago, he promised to bring this up.  He is a nice guy and we had a good talk.  Hopefully he's as good as his word.

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Quote from: Glen on August 05, 2010, 02:21:04 AM
I know that the CLC web site is harvested for email addresses on a regular basis.  Any email address I put on the technician list is soon hit with spam.   

Glen:

Thanks for the report.  Is there any reason that you have not reported this to the moderators before now?  This is the first we have heard of such activity.

Bill Hedge, CLC #14424,
Forum Moderator

Glen

When it happened I was not a member of this forum.  Did not know who to report it to.  I know it had to be the technicians list because it is the only place I posted my dutymechanic@... Email address.  I still get spam on that email.  I guess if it really bothered me I would delete that email address.  It’s more annoying than anything else. 

Hasn’t anybody else had this problem?   

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Well, I get between 25 and 50 spams each day. Fortunately, my Internet provider has a good spam filter (but I can see them). As I'm active on diverse forums and do my parts inquiries usually with e-mails, I cannot tell from which source the spams are coming.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

quadfins

Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

David King (kz78hy)

Most of the spam that finds me on my primary account (this one) comes from the lesser job search site message boards.  I was signed up w/careerbuilder and monster for 9 or 10 months w/o a problem.  I then added some more sites and the next day, I started getting crap of all kinds.  There has been nothing that I could attribute to this site.

My stuff must be boring, thank goodness.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

veesixteen

I too get a lot of spam and have had to change my eMail address 5-6 times since coming to America in 1998. However, I'm not sure WHERE the spammers are getting my address(es). It's annoying, granted, but it takes me no more than 5 minutes each morning to just ZAP the day's crop.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

Out of curiosity, I just looked at my "Profile" and note that there is a "WWW" link there to the Cadillac Database. That link is still valid but it is out of date. The CURRENT site is this one - http://cadillacdb.planeteldorado.com/
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Ted in Olympia WA

I got this note today and I guess I cannot post here anymore.  I try to offer my help when I can but I cannot confirm to this rule.  So I guess it is good-bye to the forum and club.

TED

Just a quick message to remind you of the Rules of Posting that you accepted when you signed on to the CLC Message Board:
"Rules for posting messages in the Message Forum:
At a minimum, all new posts MUST be signed with either your first and last name (EX: Henry Leland) or with your first initial and last name (EX: H. Leland). There are to be no exceptions to this rule. Posts that do not meet this requirement will be removed and will not be available for reinstatement.”
You may also specify a handle, but you must also supply your name as was just defined. NO EXCEPTIONS!

I don't want to remove your latest posting, but you need to include your first name or initial and last name now.  The best way to do it without having to remember to do it when signing off is to simply update your Member Profile to automatically include this information each time you post.

Plus, if you are a CLC Member, then you need to also include your CLC Membership Number.
For information on how to set up/update your forum signature please see: 
http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/profilehelp.shtml
Thanks for your understanding,
Bill Hedge, CLC #14424,
Forum Administrator
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

The actual Rule of Posting regarding the posting of CLC Membership Numbers actually states:
"CLC members placing messages are asked to indicate name and CLC membership number, so other readers will know which writers are CLC members."

The initial "Name" requests were posted by myself to people that weren't complying with the Rules of Posting, contained the "offending" sentence was changed on emails sent out from the 2nd August to read:
"Plus, if you are a CLC Member, then it would be nice to also include your CLC Membership Number, so other readers will know which writers are CLC members."

I apologise for not sending the amended notice to everyone I sent reminders to, regarding the "rule" but the majority of those were happy to oblige.

Plus, I will ensure that the Moderators include the alteration in the messages they themselves send out.

It must be understood that the costs of this Message Board are being wholly paid for by the CLC, and if one doesn't want to obey the Rules of Posting, then they are free not to take part.   It is a free world, but some places, there are rules.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon