News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Elvis With his 1957 Eldorado.... Question is it a Seville or Biarritz ?

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, August 16, 2010, 02:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

There has been a lot of pictures of Elvis with Cadillacs , but this is the first i have ever noticed with a 1957 . I know it's the Eldorado because of the spears on the fenders , not the hood .  the Question is Biarritz or Seville .  Anyway it is a great picture .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Art Director

Hi Bill,

That is a Seville as what is shown in the picture is a hardtop. The Biarritz is a convertible. Tim
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Coupedeville

Hello Bill,

Can't help with id-ing the car, but it's a great picture of the man himself. Not seen this one before.
Whats that halfway down the drivers side wing (fender)??

Joe Hunt
Joe Hunt

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

veesixteen

It's definitely the "Seville" hardtop (you can see the faux inner chrome roof bows through the windshield). The car appears to have also a custom LH rear-view mirror with a large "V" emblem on the back; I have never seen that model before; I expect it was a custom add-on. BTW, great pic!  Never seen it before among the many photos of Elvis' (many) Cadillacs.  Where did you get it?
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Otto Skorzeny

Who is that on his lapel pin? It looks like Jerry Lee Lewis. Can you zoom in?
fward

Bill Balkie 24172

They had about 20 pictures on the msn web page . I could not believe it when i saw the 1957 . and yes it does look like Jerry lee on the lapel . 
Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 16, 2010, 07:12:58 PM
Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on August 16, 2010, 07:12:58 PM
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

I wonder if it had a matching rear view mirror on the passenger fender ? It is a very unusual mirror
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Otto Skorzeny

You see all kinds of after market mirrors like that at flea markets and swap meets. There were all kinds of bizarre styles back then.
fward

Bill Balkie 24172

Elvis was a Cadillac Man .. Check out the convertable
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

check it out .. Elvis with his girlfriend Barbara Hearn , and sitting around the house
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

I got it off the msn homepage
Quote from: veesixteen on August 16, 2010, 06:16:12 PM
It's definitely the "Seville" hardtop (you can see the faux inner chrome roof bows through the windshield). The car appears to have also a custom LH rear-view mirror with a large "V" emblem on the back; I have never seen that model before; I expect it was a custom add-on. BTW, great pic!  Never seen it before among the many photos of Elvis' (many) Cadillacs.  Where did you get it?
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Otto Skorzeny

In his front yard it looks like a '55 Sixty Special, a '54 Convertible, and a  '54 or '55 Series 75. Not a bad lineup.
fward

veesixteen

That's the King, hanging with a meter man in Memphis in 1956. The car is a 1956 Eldorado Biarritz.  It's the one that he quickly had repainted the "color of crushed grapes".

For more Presley Cadillacs, check out the Cadillac Database:  http://cadillacdb.planeteldorado.com/Dbas_txt/Starprsl.htm

veesixteen

Elvis' first Cadillac was a pink & white 1954 Series 60 Special; it was totally destroyed by fire, in June 1955, on the road from Hope, Arkansas, where he had been performing, to Texarkana where Elvis was going to spend the night; a brake lining had caught fire! Elvis had the car fitted with a roof rack to carry the band's instruments.

The "front yard" photo includes (in the background) the 55-60S he bought for his Mom, Gladys, in 1956; it was gray and he had it repainted pink with a white roof. The "75" is believed to be the '54 model he bought to haul his band and their instruments to his early gigs; originally blue, he had it painted yellow. In the spring of 1957, Elvis moved model to Graceland, and this vehicle was used to stock the grounds. One time it was used to haul fowl - chickens, ducks, guineas, peacocks and a turkey! The convertible iin the foreground is a "Series 62"; I believe it was bright yellow and fitted with a continental kit.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

This is off the subject of the  ’57 Eldorado. Does anyone know what is the interior is on the pink & white ’55 Fleetwood that Elvis had repainted for his mom? Most photos show just the top of the seats which appear to be white, which was not a standard offering.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

okccadman

I saw the car after it was restored and it appears to have a full white vinyl interior with little or no pattern.  Almost looks like seat covers.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Most of those photos were taken at his house in Audabon Drive in Memphis - the house he had before Graceland. Last thing I heard Uri Geller had bought it ! I did post comments about the 56 Biarritz before - basically when I saw it in the Elvis car museum at Gracelands it had been customised. Purple metal flake paint, side pipes etc. it was horrible. Elvis had it repainted the colour of crushed grapes but didn't ruin it the way the present owner has [it was on loan to the museum]. Doing that to a 56 Biarritz is bad enough, but to do it to Elvis's one should be a capital offence !!
Phil
PS. That doesn't look like Jerry Lee to me, it looks like a woman, will we ever know ?!!!

Otto Skorzeny

The resolution isn't high enough to blow it up from the picture above. What woman would it be? His mother?
fward