News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Transmission problems

Started by Peter J CLC# 25678, August 17, 2010, 03:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter J CLC# 25678

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advise on my transmission problem. I was told the trransmission was rebuilt when I bought the car (builder unknown) and it all functions correctly except it slips badly between 1st & 2nd shift, all other shifts are tight with no slip.

Can this be corrected without removing the trans, or is it an internal problem?
Any idea's or advise would be welcome.

Thanks....

Peter Jordan CLC 25678

Sorry all?

I should of mentioned the year of my car: 1954 to the posting above....

Thanks

Roger Zimmermann

Peter, I don't know these transmissions very well (I'm more a rebuilder for '56 to '63 Hydramatics). There are 2 bands which adjusment is critical. Maybe your problem is coming from one band which is misadjusted. If you don't have a shop manual, please get one. You will see what is involved to adjust the bands.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Doug Houston

If the transmission slips on the  1-2 shift, the front unit clutch is what's slipping. It might be possible that the front band isn't releasing completely, but the problem sounds like a slipping clutch, more than anything else.

You might have a shop take off the control valve body from the side of the case, and clean it thoroughly, making sure that all little valve plugs slide through their bores by gravity. That could make a difference.

I agree that an external band adjustment might be a big help, and also might possibly be the only thing needed. The only trick is to find someone with the tool for that adjustment. The tool is a coaxial wrench, with a little Veeder-root counter on it, that counts tenths of a turn. Once a transmission is freshly rebuilt and in the car, an external band adjustment is a must. I rebuilt the  transmissions in my three '41 Cadillacs (with postwar transmissions), and my '41 Oldsmobile, also with a postwar transmission. There are no nicer transmissions.....anywhere. All had the external band adjustment on installation.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929