News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1975 Eldorado Upholstery - Pillow seats?

Started by Terry Griffin - CLC#20149, August 18, 2010, 07:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Griffin - CLC#20149

Hi all,
I have just bought a 1975 Eldorado Convertible which has 'pillow' seats as per the 1976 Custom Biarritz Eldorado.  It appears that the seats are original; is this possible, i.e. was there a special option available in 1975 which was not listed in the catalogue?  The Caddy is triple white, any info would be great, thanks in advance.  I've attached a mobile phone picture (first I've taken of the Eldo) in case that helps.  I can't get the serial numbers of the Eldo until the weekend as it is in a garage a few miles away from where we live.
Terry Griffin (Queensland, Australia)

Otto Skorzeny

Is that a factory RHD conversion or was it done locally?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Terry Griffin - CLC#20149

Hi Otto,

I reckon it was converted RHD in Australia at least before 1991 when the previous owner bought it.  I can't ask him any questions (he passed away three years ago) so I'm a little stymied as per history of it at this stage.

It has a RHD steering box which is a big plus for an older conversion; some use chains on the floor (yuck!) and others use universals and a shaft running under the dash.  My wife's 1979 Gucci Seville had the shaft system when we bought it but we did a 'proper' conversion to get the steering right.  Brakes are operated with a shaft under the dash (booster still on left hand side) and the aircon plenum chanber remains on the right.  Both our cars are the same in this respect.

regards, Terry

Otto Skorzeny

What about all the dash instruments? How do the conversion people deal with those? Is the gear shifter still on the right of the column?
fward

Davidinhartford

The pillow seats didn't arrive until the 1977 Eldorado Custom Biarritz.     The 1976 1/2  debut of the Custom Biarritz didn't have the pillow type seats.  All the Biarritz features were on the outside.   The interior was stock base Eldo style except you could get a black and red two-tone interior. 

So the pillow type seats in your 75 Eldo were no doubt added later.

Here is a link to an add for a 1976 1/2 Biarritz hardtop.
http://www.classyauto.com/v/Cadillac/Eldorado/92245

Terry Griffin

Thanks David.  The seats in mine are different still; they have an extra soft section stitched onto the top of the seat.  I'll get a photo over the weekend so you can see what I mean.  They may have been added later on, but Robyn (wife) reckons that the previous owner spoke of a special order for this one.  I'll get to the bottom of it somehow.  Regardless, the seats look and feel great.

Otto, I'm currently working on a story which appeared in our LaCad magazine (Australia's equivalent of 'The Self Starter') in September 1980.  We have a series titled 'Time Warp' which reprints articles of 30 years ago.  Believe it or not, LaCad September 1980 included an article on how a conversion was done.  When I finish OCRing and correcting it, I'll post it on the forum.  Makes good reading I reckon, and shows the trouble we Aussies go to to drive 'The Standard of The World'!  Oh, yeah, wife Robyn and I are the editors of LaCad, recipients of multiple Golden Quill awards.

regards, Terry Griffin

veesixteen

One more thing:  Terry and Robin are mong the finest, friendliest folks anyone (especially a Cadillac aficionado) could ever hope to meet ...and we did, back in 2005, on a trip "down under."
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

terry griffin

It seems the mystery has been resolved.  We were talking to the previous owner's wife last night and she told us that ithe Eldo originally had bench seats which were replaced with bucket seats from a later Biarritz model, and it was done in the 80s, perhaps even as part of the conversion to RHD.  I guess its not going to win any originality contest, but it looks great, is comfortable and most importantly the grandkids love it.

Thanks to all for your interest, and Yann for his kind comments.

I'll post the conversion information in a separate post in this forum, titled "Converting to Right Hand Drive" for those who are interested.

regards, Terry

Doug Spingelt

Can I hijack this post with another similar seat question?  I ahve a 75 eldo convertible and the seats have little square rings at each corner sewn into a tag off the seat.  there is no pillo-top or arm rests, but i do ahve a tubular matching white pillow which I understand to be the armrest and that has strps on the ends of it.  are these meant to fit together.  never have figured that out.  I am pretty sure my wseats are original as the componants are rusty underneath and barely work. 
Doug Spingelt

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Doug -- the arrangement you describe is original -- it was a variation offered in 1974 and 1975.  It has 50-50 divided seats instead of 60-40, which actually makes the driver's seat more comfortable.  There is no fold-down armrest, but there is a cylindrical pillow that fastens loosely by straps that fit on four rings, two on each side of the front seat.  The fastening is flexible enough so that the pillow can stay in place even if the two sections of the front seat are moved in different directions.

I had this interior in a 1974 Eldorado coupe that I owned when the cars were new, and I have it now in a 1975 Eldorado coupe.   My '74 was Lido Green with green plaid cloth and green leather interior.  My current '75 is Roxena Red with a white top and red Monticello Cloth interior.

The same type of interior is in a white '75 Eldorado coupe owned by Northstar Region CLC member Dick Moeschter, who recently passed away.  Dick's car has white leather interior. 

There must not be many of these cars around, since I have not seen any others in a long time.

Jeff Wilk

Doug, I have the same upholstery in the 75 Eldo Convertible I just purchased from Calif.  White leather interior 50/50 split front but I am missing the pillow.  Would you consider sending a couple of pictures of the pillow and dimensions so I can make one?  Any chance you'd loan me yours so I can use it as an example?  Never hurts to ask....right?  8-)

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Davidinhartford

I don't have any photos of them in leather, but here are a few in cloth.

Doug Spingelt

Now those are some cool interiors.  I can take a photo and send it.  My car is Gossimer Blue with a white top and white interior and blue carpet and dash.  (in poor condition)  Its funny how the stufed armrest makes it through 35 years of life, but the hood ornament and other assorted sundries does not.  If you live in the Seattle vicinity you are welcome to see it and measure it.  If you are at all handy it would be easy to make.  (Or have made)  it functionally useless and never stays put, so ours resides int he back seat as a pillow and the passenders love it. 
Doug Spingelt

Huffstutler

Terry...  Here is one from a 1977 Eldorado... does this look like yours?

Picture too large so sending link to it instead:

http://www.leatherique.net/images/caddy.jpg

Eric
Eric Huffstutler

Richard Sills - CLC #936

The '77 Eldorado picture shows dual fold-down armrests.  I think the pictures that David sent show what Terry is describing.  The blue interior is Monticello Cloth,which I think was a 1975-only option. 

Bob kazawic

I have a 1979 Eldo Biaritz, with pillow seats. can i just replace the pillow portion or do i need to replace the whole seat? any info on sources?
bob

Otto Skorzeny

Try SMS Auto Fabric for the material.

If it's not too wild, Stock Interiors might have what you need.

Jenkins, of course, can help you as well.

Contact information for all of the above can be found in the link below.
fward

Terry Griffin

Hi, and Yes!! My seats are eaxctly like the 77 ones, but with a little more wear.  Extremely comfortable though!

regards, Terry

Huffstutler

Do I win a prize for being the winner  ;D

When you said "pillow seats" I pretty much knew what you were talking about.  I had similar ones on my 1975 Imperial LeBaron... also a car that was white on white in white.
Eric Huffstutler