News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldorado Tires

Started by Rick Biarritz, August 25, 2010, 10:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

What tires came on my 83 Eldo Biarritz with the 4100?  The owner's manual doesn't help.  If you don't know, can you tell me where to look?  Thanks. 

Richard Ould

TJ Hopland

Are you asking about the brand and model of tire or size?   The size would be on the door tag if its still there.   Seems like that was about the time they went to the 70 series tires at least on the baritz and touring coupe.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Davidinhartford

This car was on ebay recently.  It had 799 original miles on it.   Yes, original tires.   They were the royal seal wider whitewalls.

Here is a link to the auction.   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-BIARRITZ-ONLY-799-ORIGINAL-MILES-/190426997100?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c5655616c

Rick Biarritz

You guys are great.  Thanks.  I found the tire size on the door as you said.  "Royal Seal" are Uniroyals, correct?  When I google it, I seem to get more than one company. 

TJ Hopland

Was that royal seal the common one before they went to the Vouge?  Who made those?

So was it normal for those cars to squat down when they were shut off?   I just replaced the shocks on mine and made some adjustments to the control and it seemed to go to the correct level now but when I shut it down it always seems to squat down like in the photo.  Unhooking the vent solenoid on the compressor keeps it up so it seems like the control is telling it to drop.  Ran out of time to further investigate because I suddenly developed an engine issue. 

Davidinhartford

Vouges were never factory installed.   But they were a popular dealer accessory in many areas.

The cars should never squat.   The electronic level control only reacts to load weight via a switch at the rear axle area.    Car squats, the compressor kicks on and pumps up the air shocks.   Load leaves, car raises and the shocks should vent out until the ride height is level again.  If the car is squatting down when off, then I'd check the rear air shocks for leaks or in the lines to the shocks from the sensor switch.

Dave Shepherd

Actually the were " Vogue Tyres"  made by Kelly Springfield.

35-709

And Royal Seals were made by US Royal, er, Uniroyal.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

Kelly is still around right?    I think Uniroyal got bought or merged in the last 10 years or so, so only a few of their models sort of live on?  I remember when Tiger Paws were everywhere.  Wasnt there a huge tire with a big orange tiger paw on the interstate between detroit and the airport?

It may be that my control has some slop in it.  I imagine that when you get out of the car its possible that the system thinks it needs to lower a bit and if perhaps the internals are worn it vents too long so you end up low?   It seems to do it with the key off so there must be some sort of time delay?

I have shop manuals on they way so perhaps they will have some details.   I do have a 78 manual that appears to be the same system as 80 but again have been distracted with engine issues.

Huffstutler

Uniroyal is still in busines but since they have such a small market now and because whitewall tires are out of vogue with new vehicles, they mainly only carry blackwalls... The Royal Seal tires are now "antiques" but you can find people on eBay selling them if you do a search.  It will be easier to find a 1-1/2 inch whitewall tire on the market that is not the Royal Seal brand if you only want the look without the logo?

Eric Huffstutler