News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Turn Signal indicators Both Flashing

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, August 27, 2010, 06:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello , i usually drive my car during the day , but today i decided to take my car to work . I leave at 5:30 AM so it is dark outside .  I noticed that when i turn on my turn signals the indicator on the dash works fine both right and left , however  i see a faint light on the opposite turn signal indicator  flashing also .  I probably never noticed this during the day because it is faint , about 1/4 of the brightness of the turn signal that is suppose to light up .  I Checked the situation outside the car and all looks good . nice and bright with just the signal flashing . This problem is only on the dash indicators . 

Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

vicbrincat

Bill have you checked the operation of both rear turn lights and front?
Do you have the correct bulbs installed at all locations? Rear, front and in the dash?

I have seen situations where using the wrong bulbs makes the turn signal circuit behave as though a bulb is burned out.

Vic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Vic ,
Thanks for the reply,
                I have had burt out bulbs before , and the signals would not work at all . my turn signals work fine , it just that both indicaters lights blink . the one that is not suppose to blink .... blinks very  weakly .  Although i did change the flasher about 5 weeks ago . let me try the old one .

thanks ,
        Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

Could be a bad ground.

But, when a lamp blows, the other lights usually flash faster.

With the Digital, or electronic Control Relay, I have been advised that the rate of flashing won't change as the unit works on a "Timer", and not the voltage, as in the older original ones.   These break and contact with the heat of the voltage traveling through the unit.   (Probably not the correct wordage, but I am not an electrician)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Gomez

Bill,

The two side indicators bulbs at the dash board are connected together to the flasher. Your condition is a high resistance ground bleeding back from the other side.

If I recall correctly you had a problem with a shorted brake light wiring at the trunk. The problem could be at the turn signal light switch.

After you replace the flasher and you still experience the same, try disconnecting the non working side from turn signal switch connector harness, there are three wires for left and three for the right side and see what happen.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bill Balkie 24172

Thanks to all , After returning home from work , i pulled the new flasher out and relaced it with what i think is the original Flasher . I pulled the car into the garage , turned off the lights in the garage (total Darkness ) and tried the turn signals .  They work just the way they should the right  flashing and the left completely off and vis versa . . Not exactly sure what happened .... but everything is OK now.
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS