News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking for help from late 50s expert

Started by Jim Kulbaski, August 27, 2010, 10:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Kulbaski

Hi,

Total classic car noobie here, so please be patient.  I have been looking for a late 50s Cadillac for the last month, and think I found one that I'd like to buy.

But, I'm new to classic cars, and am looking to hire someone (I'm willing to hire a pro) who can initally look over all of the info I have about the car, and then tell me a reasonable price to pay for it.

Of course, there are a lot of appraisers in Hemmings, etc., but how do I know which ones are reputable and which ones know late 50s Cadillacs?  Of course, I don't want to post on-line the details and location of my desired car, as it will alert all of you smart folks to the car that I want to buy at a reasonable price.

My goal is buy a car at a fair price that I could sell for about what I paid for it, should that time ever come.  Since I'm new to this game and diving right in, I'm looking for help.  Any names that you could recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

P.S.  Fee free to email me at jimlaurak@yahoo.com

Otto Skorzeny

It's going to depend on the year and model car you're interested in as well as its location.

There are people whose area of expertise is limited to certain years or certain models and they live all over the world.

I don't think you have to worry about anyone here jumping your claim.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

D.Yaros

When I was hot on the trail of 56, located 3,000 miles away, I hired an inspection company.  I have to say, they were very thorough, and knowledgeable.  I was more than impressed with the report and pics I received.  So impressed, that I decided NOT to buy the car.  Some the best money I ever spent!

The outfit?  Automobile Inspections LLC  http://www.automobileinspections.com/
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Coupe

There is someone active on this forum that has knowledge of the year and model you are looking. I would start by asking this forum for what areas of concern to look at on a specific year and model. For example some years and/or models are more prone to rust in certain areas than others. Some years and/or models are more difficult to find replacement sheetmetal and trim pieces. Certain years' drive trains had their problems that were corrected in the next year. In fact during some years the corrections were after a certain engine #. The knowledge is here and members are more than willing to share it. Most do not want to see their mistakes repeated by others.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Fairfax Cadillac

Thanks for the recommendation of Automobile Inspections LLC  http://www.automobileinspections.com/  They are not open on weekends, so I will try them on Monday.  They seem to offer a great service. 

However, the website of Automobile Inspections does not list appraisal as one of their functions.  I really need to know what a fair price is for the car.  Is there a nationwide outfit, similar to automobile inspections, that could also give me a value/appraisal of the car?

Thanks.

Jim
J. Kulbaski
Fairfax Station, VA
1959 Series 62 Convertible

Greg Powers

You need to understand before you jump in the water that a car's value is greatly up to the buyer and  the seller. Prices change greatly based upon the motivation of the buyer and the seller. I just attended a car auction and watched lots of cars "pass through" because the buyers weren't ready to pay reserves and the seller wasn't that desperate to sell. You need someone to inspect the car and make sure that it is being honestly represented, but as far as a price, "value" and sale price in today's market are changing daily. (Have you checked your homes' value recently???). Best of luck - Greg
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Caddy Wizard

If you are looking to make sure that you can get your money out, there are limited options.  First, buy a convertible or a coupe.  That will help ensure that you get your "investment" back.  If you buy a sedan and pour a lot of money into it, you'll get robbed when you go to sell it.  Second, buy a car that doesn't need overall paint work.  Paint work is so expensive that it can bust a budget in a heartbeat.  On a sedan, you'll seldom recoup your investment in a high-end paint job.  In general, stay away from expensive work (engine, chrome, etc) and focus on stuff you can do yourself with simple tools and moderate skills.  Avoid anything rusty.  Stay away from basket cases (unless you have the ability to reassemble the thing without a guide to lead you).  Pick the nicest car you can afford, one that needs next to nothing.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Chris Conklin

I too have used Automobile Inspections and was very satisfied. They saved me from buying three out-of-state cars at various times. They did provide an estimate of value for the cars with the admonishment that they are not in the appraisal business. I've only contracted with them on-line (and it's been a while) but I recall there being an option to select an estimate of the car's value with the inspection. May have added $50 to the cost.
Chris Conklin

Fairfax Cadillac

Wow, what a wild week!!

I ended up buying the white 1959 Series 62 Cadillac convertible having an eBay auction that ended last Thursday.

The seller was busy, and I couldn't get three days lead time for an inspection from Automobile Inspections.  I sent an email to the president of the Las Vegas Cadillac Club, who quickly put me in touch with one of their members who did an inspection for me on very short notice.  I was happy with the inspection report, the car, the price, and I bought it.

Now, I need to sit patiently until the car is shipped from Vegas to Virginia.  I have asked Reliable to ship the car, but they haven't given me an estimated pickup date yet. 

Jim   ;D
J. Kulbaski
Fairfax Station, VA

Steve W

Congrats!!! Sounds like you got a great car.
And, with the 59 convertible being an absolute "icon", of not only Cadillac, but of 1950's Americana, if the car is in any kind of decent shape you will do just fine when its time to sell.

Now the fun begins! The fun of "discovery".
Discovering what great cars these are...discovering how much fun you will have driving it...discovering how many people dig the car as you're driving by, or going to cruise night or wherever, discovering how big it actually is when you wash it and wax it for the first time...discovering what the previous owner/s did to keep it maintained...what they did right, what they did wrong....discovering where to find certain parts and what they cost...discovering what stuff you can fix on your own and what stuff is better left to the pros.

Discovering what tools to buy...oh yes, there will be tools!

Have fun, and let us know when you get the car! PICTURES...we need PICTURES! :)
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Otto Skorzeny

Screw Reliable. Fly out there and drive it home.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Fairfax Cadillac

OK, I forgot to post pictures.  They are below (Pictures from the eBay listing. I have not seen the car yet).

Honestly, I have no idea what are all of the cool features of the '59 Cadillac.  But, I will definitely have fun with it.  I feel pretty comfortable doing most things on a car.  I'm quite fortunate to have a big detached 3-car garage with a lift.  I won't do engine internals, and won't do paint (at least on a nice car), but other than that, I'll tackle most jobs.

And the garage where she will relax:

J. Kulbaski
Fairfax Station, VA

mrspeedyt

s. twitchell

Vince Taliano #13852

Jim,

My name is Vince Taliano, Director of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club Potomac Region covering MD, DC and Northern Virginia.  First of all, congratulations on your purchase of the 1959 convertible.  It looks like a real beauty.  Ironically, one of our club officers, Scot Minesinger, lives in Fairfax Station and knows quite a few reputable places if any work is needed on your car, plus he does pretty amazing stuff himself.  We also have a few members who own 1959 convertibles that are very knowledgeable about that specific year and model and are always more than willing to help a fellow owner with tips, information, etc.  By the replies to your post, you can get a sense of the camaraderie that exists in our International Club of 7,000 + members.  Locally, we have about 200 Cadillac enthusiasts who are members of our Region.

Please feel free to contact me or Scot (rscotminesinger@clcpotomacregion.org) if you need any information or assistance.  

Look forward to meeting you at a future event.

Vince
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Chris Conklin

Congratulations Jim! You state you're a newbie to classic Cadillacs, I can see you are a person who likes to start at the top!! Very nice '59, congrats again.
Chris Conklin

Fairfax Cadillac

Vince, thanks for the warm welcome! I'm sure I'll be seeing you guys in the Washington DC area around.

Chris, thanks for your message.  I'm really excited about the purchase.  I'm hoping the car arrives in about 9 days, but still don't have an exact pickup date yet.  I was originally going with Reliable Carriers, but they had no idea when their next truck would be passing through Las Vegas.  I called up Exotic Transport, and they told me they had a truck coming through Vegas to the East Coast this weekend.  I hope they weren't jerking my chain, and there really is truck this weekend.

Jim
J. Kulbaski
Fairfax Station, VA