News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 Eldo Biaritz Electronis Fuel Injection

Started by Bob kazawic, August 28, 2010, 12:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob kazawic

Recently acquired a79 Eldo Biaritz with the 350 olds engine with fuel injection. Having trouble getting to run smooth, idles OK but while driving it has flat acceloration . Cannot find a good source of info on the ECM and the how to read some of the sensors. Any info? manuals do not eem to be helpful.
Thanks
Bob

bcroe

Bob kazawic,  I own one of those.  I repair the ECUs and try to help with other parts of the EFI.  If we get into discussions my email is   bcroe@juno.com   You can see some stuff on your EFI on my PHOTOBUCKET, other info I can email.  First thing to check if you have a replacement timing chain yet, and your 2 EFI temperature sensors should measure about 1000 ohms cold (very high failure rate).  I can test your ECU for postage cost. 

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/bcroe/

(that is a lower case "L"71, not an upper case "i"71)

click on an Album at left
  click on a picture to enlarge + description

Bruce Roe
5719 East Skinner,
Stillman Valley, IL    61084-9215

815 234-8039

bob kazawic

Bruce, thanks for the reply, I have down loaded the data and will take a look . Do you know of a source for the throttle pos sensor, the map and oxygen sensors?
These old beatutys are nice but tough to fix
Bob

bcroe

Bob, These first electronic EFI cars aren't much like the later ones, which is why nobody knows how they work and getting parts is a problem.  The 76-79 ECUs are analog computers, digital came along in 1980.  They have no diagnostics, and they don't respond to the same parts changing as later generations. 

The MAP sensor is inside the ECU.  There is a test for it, I suggest you email me at  bcroe@juno.com  so I can send you some details, which have been prepared.  The original MAP has a high failure rate, and isn't available.  But I have designed a modern replacement that fits and should be far more reliable (see it on PHOTOBUCKET).  Your car likely doesn't have an oxygen sensor, very few of these did.  We can tell from the number on the ECU.  The throttle position switch is nothing like later generations, and they are very reliable.  You can see it on PHOTOBUCKET; I can send you a test to verify its operation.  The throttle position switch has little effect; primarily when you are increasing the throttle. 

I have managed to fix 5 of these systems this summer.  Bruce

TJ Hopland

The Tps on these is just an arrangement of switch contacts.  It only knows closed, wide open, and movement.  So its more of a throttle movement sensor.  I dont remember hearing that these were often a problem.    Last week I was chasing another obsolete part that turned out to be that TPS.  1606785.  Locater showed a few at various dealers and several at something called H & H and that delco place in WI.  I imagine both those vendors are on Ottos big list.  Napa also showed it as an available part but since that was not what I was after I did not bother to actually try to locate one.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

Good to know the part number of the TPS.  No point chasing one unless it tests bad.  The TPS schematic and the 1979 ECU schematic (no OX sensor) are on PHOTOBUCKET for those who are into that.  Bruce Roe

Bob Kawic

bruce, I will follow up with an Email, this info you discussed mis very informativ, look forward to the info.

Bob Kazawic

TJ,
Thanks for the reply, I  will check it out , along with the data  from Bruce, I would like to stay in touch, because I'm new to this car. My mechanic seems to be lost.
My email, bob.kaz@comcast.net, my cell 732-691-1800.
Thanks
Bob